• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LF from MC

LF from MC

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

When my XP computer died, I bought a new computer. The XP computer has 2 hard drives, so I bought an inclouser to check out the hard drives, I was able to get the second hard drive out, and glad to see that all the pictures and document were on there, that I backed up to from the C drive, then when I checked the C drive, there wasn't anything there, then I realized, it might not be the computer, but the hard drive that died, so my question is, can I use the second hard drive for the C drive to see if I can get the computer running again, the second hard drive was used just for backing up, or do I need to buy a new hard drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lorraine

To all Guest who’s lurking out there, come on in, and join us. You don’t have to have a computer problem to join, and it doesn’t take long to sign in, and when you do have a computer problem, heaven for bid, you’re ready to ask questions about it.  

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

Hi Lorraine...

when I checked the C drive, there wasn't anything there

Could you please explain the above statement in a bit more detail? Do you mean that when you boot the computer from your C drive you cannot boot into Windows and you only get a black screen with a message, " Insert operating system disk" or something similar?

Or, do you mean that you can boot into Windows XP but all your data is missing?

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 Mark

Mark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 886 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

I think what she means is that she can't see anything when she installs the drive in the enclosure (USB) on another computer, and she wants to use the original backup drive as a new boot drive.

Lorraine,

Does the original backup drive have a backup of the operating system (XP)? I have never restored an OS backup on to the same drive where the backup is located. It is formatted as a logical drive and it would need to have a primary partition to be able to boot an operating system.

If you have a backup of the original operating system, the easiest way to recover the system is to get a new C drive and restore the OS from the original backup in the old system using rescue media.

Maybe someone here has some experience doing it all on one drive and can help you get it done.

#4 LF from MC

LF from MC

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

Hi ranchhand, thanks for trying to help, sometimes it's hard for me to say what I want to say, maybe most of the times, lol, anyway, Mark has it right, except the backup hard drive was only used to drag and drop files and pictures on, and not the system.

Thanks Mark, that's ok, I just thought I might be able to use it for the C drive. I would rather use the money for a hard drive to add pictures and files onto from my new computer.

The enclosure works great, I even have one for my laptop hard drive. Now I wish it was only the hard drive that went bad on the lap top. I was told it would cost over $400.00 to fix it.

Well anyway, thank you both.

Lorraine

To all Guest who’s lurking out there, come on in, and join us. You don’t have to have a computer problem to join, and it doesn’t take long to sign in, and when you do have a computer problem, heaven for bid, you’re ready to ask questions about it.  

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

The easiest way, and to avoid additional expenditures, is to drag and drop your data off the backup drive to a USB stick, depending on how much data you have. Then wipe the backup drive and install XP on it, then drag and drop your data back on to the new XP system on your (previous) backup drive. So, to do this, you will:

> need to know the total amount of data on your backup drive

>have a flash drive equal or larger than the amount of data you have

In any event, I cannot see where any of this would cost $400!  Here are a couple of prices on Newegg for new hard drives:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236525

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236741

General drives:

http://www.newegg.co...bCategory/ID-14

USB flash drives (these are large capacity, smaller capacity drives are lower cost:

http://www.newegg.co...-VisNav-_-128GB

You will need your Microsoft XP installation disk, and copies of all the programs that you would like to install.

Another suggestion is to test your XP drive and make sure that it has failed, and there is not something else wrong. It is easy to do and costs nothing except one blank CD or DVD disk.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#6 LF from MC

LF from MC

• Moderators
  • 728 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

Thanks ranchhand, my daughter comming up in a couple weeks, she is going to check it out, so I'll let her know what you said.

The 400.00 was for the laptop it was an ASYS gamer. The hard drive was good on the laptop, there was a main part that went bad, and they had to order the part from the manufacturer, which was over 300.00, and they couldn't be sure if that was all it needed. My doughter is going to take it home with her, and play with it.

Thanks a bunch,

Lorraine