42 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

A few weeks ago, I got disoriented at the model flying field and 'put her in' in a most spectacular style. Completely wrote the model off :( It was a total re-kit job :(
As usual, the engine is OK as is the radio gear (although a couple of servos had sheared gears internally but I was able to order replacements and fix that myself with no problem).

Anyway, someone offers to sell me a plane that they had bought from another club member purely for the engine. TBH he was probably going to take the electronics out and trash it, although it did look like it was in flying condition, even though it had had a few, errrr, hard landings :) I had seen that model down at the field and knew it flew, so was happy enough with that.

So I start work on it to put my stamp on it if you like and fix a few things I didn't like the look of.

1) For some reason he had two receiver batteries in it. I thought he was connecting them in parallel to give more oomph (not really necessary on this type of model) but no ... one was 4.8V and the other 6.0V.
2) I notice that the 4.8V one is not actually connected, so I remove it as it is only adding weight.
3) Test that battery. it won't take a charge. Why was it still in the model? It was about the point of CG (Centre of Gravity) so not serving as ballast in a useful way.
4) Charge the other battery and start testing the radio gear with it. A few minutes later I hear this noise coming from the receiver and the servos stop responding
5) Recharge that battery. It charges in about 3 minutes, indicating that it is also dead (not taking a charge).
6) try again using my existing battery that I know is good. Everything is absolutely fine.
7) So either he put a dud in (why would he do that?) or the battery was on its way out anyway .... but otherwise, it should have locked up mid-air and crashed anyway.

So, work on this model continues. Will have to take a few pics and upload here when I get the time but that's a way off yet due to general busyness.

The model flying club's website is here:
http://www.goosedale...co.uk/index.php

I did a lot of work earlier in the year to give it a consistent look-and-feel with the forum (powered by phpBB3) and I wrote the gallery add-on myself as I couldn't find a suitable existing extension.
Still some work to do, but it's mostly behind-the-scenes low priority stuff.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#2 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

ok, you got me by saying "flying."

How bout this?

https://www.youtube....h?v=s1su1K8yb8k

#3 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

I went all into flying RC back in the FM radios (days) that had tubes and wet battery in the transmitter, blip reed servo's and never heard of a gyro till yrs later. I got tried of flying different planes as I wasn't into pattern flying and moved on to helicopters ----- boy was that interesting. I always ended up with half the garage full of repairs and half ready to fly.

I went to our flying field not long ago and BOY how things have changed.

#4 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

Should have know Rob would have something on the SR-71. :D

Rob/Angoid, what would be your guess as to the $$ that guy has in that "hobby".  that must be out of this world expensive.

#5 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:43 AM

I have no idea, but it must be powerful engines.  The SR glides like a rock.  I was amazed it flew controllably... i woulda guessed it was One and Done!  Lasting about as long as the first Wright Bros flight

#6 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

Well, the engines alone would come in at around £1000 each, at least. The radio gear about a couple of hundred, and the airframe it's difficult to tell, but believe it or not the airframe is probably the least expensive part of the whole thing.
Those model jets really are a miniature version of the real thing, they even SOUND pretty real.

So at a guess, you're probably looking at around £2500 to £3000 there. Very expensive if he re-kits it :)

Reading the nostalgic section of the magazine that comes quarterly (the British Model Flying Association, the UK equivalent to the US Academy of Model Aeronautics), I can see how things have changed significantly over the years.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#7 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Angoid,

I worked on many aircraft including the "Blackbirds," even at Mildenhall.  But never the pleasure to fly these radio-controlled aircraft.  Probably good thing as I would never have had the Money for computers, and many other "toys."  The closest I got was as a kid, flying a plastic gas-engine powered one held together with rubber bands, controlling it at the end of two wires.  Crashes were usually non-lethal, as it just flew apart and it went back together with more rubber bands.  And the price was right!!

#8 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:07 AM

Angoid, I am surprised at that.  Obviously I do not know much about it but I would have guessed at least double that.  Either way, petty expensive hobby.

Rob, I did not even have the motor.  The motor WAS the rubber band. :lol:

#9 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

I've never flown jet engines, but the engine will be the most expensive part by and large.
Jet are very expensive pieces of kit.
Cursory Google searches are only turning up plastic models, that sort of thing.
But you can pitch into this hobby almost at any level: start-up costs can be high as you need to get a model, engine, the radio gear, club membership, etc.
To start out with, you'd be best getting something like a Seagull Boomerang - a high-wing trainer.

#10 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Angoid,

Like my friend Gary, I will stick with rubber band propulsion.  Too many toys to buy!!  Thnx!

#11 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

The thing with a rubber band is this: the price is definitely right!!

Joking aside, you could probably build a simple two or three channel rubber-powered model.  You would wind it up and launch it by hand, controlling it to maximise the altitude before the rubber power runs out, after which point it would become a simple glider.  If you could catch a thermal, you could achieve a reasonable flight time.

#12 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

Ok, I am way outclassed here, but this brings a boyhood memory back (groans, moans from the audience, several run for the exit door).

I got a balsa wood glider kit that came with several sheets of instructions and several tubes of glue with a huge elastic strap at least 4 ft long. It looked so intimidating it sat in my closet for a year until I gave it to a neighbor kid. He worked on it for several weeks, much of it had to be cut from the balsa stock using templates provided.

Well, he finally got it together, and this thing had a full body, the wings (as I remember) were 2.5 ft spread. As per instructions, there was a metal hook on the bottom front, the elastic strap looped around a wood stake driven into the ground and the other end hooked into the metal hook.

We went out into the field, set it all up, and he stretched that elastic back at least 4 ft. and let 'er rip. Man, that airplane went on an upward angle, planed left  and sailed almost out of sight with Arnold an I chasing it. What a great time we had that day!

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#13 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

Sounds brilliant!

I used to have tow gliders, rubber-powered models and so on the building was definitely fun .... when it came to the actual flying though, typically a gust of wind would catch it, a tree would get in the way, or the trim would be wrong and it would end up ... shall we say, having a hard landing.

Said plane at the top of this thread is pretty much ready to take to the air now.  Just need a decent weekend (this coming weekend isn't going to be it).  There was cosmetic damage in addition to the stuff I mentioned before, but got that all fixed now.  Thankfully, it's structurally sound.

#14 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:03 AM

We will see about that last sentence @ T-0 on launch day!!

#15 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

Which should have been yesterday, but it got too windy to go up to the field :(