#31 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:27 PM

All i can say is WOW!

I think my only thoughts about drones was that some idiot will fly one into the flight path of a landing airliner.  I had no idea they could be used like the video shows.

Thnx, Angroid!!

#32 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

I think my only thoughts about drones was that some idiot will fly one into the flight path of a landing airliner.

Sadly, this sort of thing has already happened, and it's a serious offence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36067591

Like all technology, it can be used for great good or it can be used for evil purposes (I've hear reports of IS using exploding drones as a weapon), or just stupidly and unwisely.

Amazon Air - cool idea, time will tell if it will ultimately work or not:

https://www.amazon.c...node=8037720011

http://arstechnica.c...-cambridge-lab/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#33 don2013

don2013

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:39 PM

hmmmm very cool, howsomever I foresee many being stolen, stomped on, beat down with bats etc etc...just sayin, they (amazon)

might need to carefully check what sort of "hood" they are delivering into !!!!

#34 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Amazon drones were in the news here recently (a few weeks ago) and it came up at work as well.  Someone mentioned that very issue.  Amazon will have to do research and perhaps consider designating some areas as no-go areas for this very reason.

If someone knows the time a drone is coming to deliver something they could conceivably lie in wait and capture the thing.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to be in the way of those propellers.  They .WILL. cause serious injuries and because they are electric, will not stop because something gets in their way.  You would have to use extreme caution if you wanted to capture one!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#35 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Can you comprehend the liability issues that will arise with the use of these.

#36 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

Well, this seems to be the "official" thread for RC buffs, so this might be interesting:

http://www.wimp.com/who-needs-physics/

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#37 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

Two words.

Second word: A very hot place we hope we never go to.

First word: That red stuff that courses trough one's veins and arteries.

#38 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Hey all...I chose to post my new offering in this old thread because (1) the thread is a good one, and (2) it fits in the same subject matter. While I am not into RC flying, I do find it interesting. With all the model failures in this thread, I thought it might be interesting to see a great success. Hope you enjoy, I am quite impressed.

https://www.wimp.com/451-mph-rc-jet/

• kennethr likes this

#39 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:41 PM

OK RH,

You pushed my button.  Look at this... https://www.youtube....h?v=UeMxLKGujNE

#40 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

OK RH,

You pushed my button.  Look at this... https://www.youtube....h?v=UeMxLKGujNE

Nice video but believe me ----- that fellow RCer had many many hours of flying normal (Crashing cheap stuff) before he invested thousands in that jet.

#41 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

Some of these planes are truly amazing stuff.

You can learn basic flying on a trainer model (usually high-wing for beginners, and then move on to low-wing) but every model handles very differently.

Simulators are quite good nowadays as well, and can give you a real feel of what flying a model aircraft is like.  The physics is pretty good as well.

The one I use is Phoenix.

#42 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Nice one, Rob!  Next plane I am going to view is that WW2 bomber in the link-videos on the right.Some of these "models" are so large they could carry cargo!  When I think of the guys I hung with in my youth....we had the old gas-powered plane you started with a 12 volt battery and they had a glow plug. There is still something exciting about feeling the pull of the model while I held on to the controller. Some of the more adventurous (foolish?) kids had battles; they would tie a 4 ft. ribbon on the end of the plane and two guys would stand back-to-back and try to cut the ribbon of the other guy with the propeller. The one who got his ribbon cut lost. Lots of spectacular crashes with that, but usually the engine was ok and could be reclaimed. I think the kids enjoyed building another model and trying to design it faster. Good days.

#43 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

I agree that Simulators are much better, but there's nothing like having to fly your money around mostly expecting a crash...LOL

I learned way before Simulators, we used FM transmitter box's with wet battery w/ left/right switches operating reed servo's, there was a lot of crashes...Ha!!