311 replies to this topic

#301 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

Hey, Tom, just wanted to say thanks so much for looking into this, definitely looking forward to seeing Angus' reply. :D

#302 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

Hi Angus ~

Here's my thinking now:

The code is all working perfectly, the whole kit and kaboodle looks so good and runs so well that I'm thinking I should consider publishing in the current form. Yes, there are a couple of details that could be improved . . the splash image, the uppercase issue I explain below, and a tiny modification of the Help modal window . . but I think it's time to stop perfecting and start thinking in publication terms. I feel I need to get myself in an active, even aggressive publication mindset. It's time to work on all that's involved with purchase, registration, authentication, tracking user's previous activity, SEO, game site notification (e.g. Reddit) etc.

You talked about

<<taking a look at the whole thing . . reason being, it's got so complex that there is an increasing danger of adding something in (or fixing something) and it breaking a boat load of other stuff >>

but that sounds like a lot of work, and I wonder if we could spare you that, in consideration of the fact that everything's so good now. I'd hate to think that the “go ahead” splash alone would put you to all that trouble.

What do you think?

The only other thing I had wanted is that when a puzzle is solved, or “Solution” is clicked, the first letter of the first word of any sentence should appear as uppercase. I had Jon write this code (and it really does make a solved puzzle look better) but he did it so badly that other functionality was screwed up, and now he wants to charge me more $ to fix the bugs, and I'm not at all happy with that. I think I should let it go for now; perhaps if you like you could work it up later.

I'll be happy to hear your thoughts . . as always. And the thoughts of any of the other kind folks who have been following our saga!

#303 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Hi Beau, OK, I accept that. The only things that still concern me are that some of the graphics are still enormous in terms of KB, and you're taking buttons that are collossal and resizing them using CSS height and width controls.
I have been fiddling with some of the graphics, so I'm more than happy (this evening - am at work) to copy your area again (in case there have been any changes) and drop the new graphics in place.

Another thing I notice is that some of your graphics and file names have spaces in them - while this does not stop it from working, it can have an impact when copying, pasting, and other forms of testing.
So I've renamed files such as "solution hover.jpg" to "solution_hover.jpg"

Oh, that's another thing - you seem to have some graphics that are actually PNGs but with a JPG extension (or vice versa) - especially many of your buttons - so I've made them all PNGs. For graphics such as buttons, I think that's a better format.

Watch this space - I'll post the link to a new area this evening and let you know.

Tom - thanks for the charset metadata tip, that's not present in Beau's code so worth adding it I think. That said, it's not a rendering issue we've been looking at. The issues I've often seen in code such as this though is AJAX calls not behaving the same when the site is run locally to how it does when run across a Web server.

If a developer introduces a bug in the course of fixing a different bug, he should not be charging to fix the other bugs he created!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#304 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Great!

I'll shortly add some more comments, but I wanted to let you know right away that I've just ftp'd up http://kwunk.com/170510-stable/which is the fully functioning, exhaustively tested code (it even works in IE and Edge, believe it or not) so your modifications, including Tom's charset metadata line, should from now on be based on 170510-stable/

Because the code at 170510-stable/ is fully usable, from now on I'm never going to make any modifications at all, so that you can be confident that your work can be dropped into 170510-stable/ without worrying that I've changed something. Just ftp up your dated work whenever convenient so I can be current on it.

Reminder: let's date everything now with the date at the beginning of the site name so it all directories show up chronologically (e.g. 170510-AC-stable instead of AC170510-stable). If you think it's better to name each new iteration with the date you did it, e.g. if you did something today it would be 170524-AC, I'm fine with that. In that case we could leave out the "stable", maybe a good idea :)

- - - - -

Okey-doke, here's more.

Thanks for fixing up the graphics, that was something I was going to ask you about, figuring you would tell me what to do and I'd do the donkey work, but once again it's above and beyond the call of duty that you've done it for me!

I had never learned how properly to set up web page image files, sizing the file when I create it vs resize using CSS height/width. I'm going to have a close look at the png files you drop in place: their size measurements, and how size is (maybe) defined in CSS, will tell me how it should be done.

<<Oh, that's another thing - you seem to have some graphics that are actually PNGs but with a JPG extension (or vice versa) - especially many of your buttons - so I've made them all PNGs. For graphics such as buttons, I think that's a better format.>>
Ooof, don't know how that happened . . png's with jpg extensions, weird

<<Another thing I notice is that some of your graphics and file names have spaces in them - while this does not stop it from working, it can have an impact when copying, pasting, and other forms of testing . . So I've renamed files such as "solution hover.jpg" to "solution_hover.jpg">>
Ooof, shame on me, I've known for a long time that should be done but never sat down and did it :(

<<If a developer introduces a bug in the course of fixing a different bug, he should not be charging to fix the other bugs he created! >>
Agreed! In this case he wasn't fixing a different bug, he was writing new code to uppercase first letter of first word in sentence, but in doing so he introduced a bug which a) upscrewed the Hint and Solution buttons and B) upscrewed the fundamental dragula process, and it seemed to me that he should have fixed all that at no extra charge.

<<Watch this space >>
I'm in like Flynn :1thumbsup:

#305 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hi Beau,

Well, here is the takeaway:
http://kwunk.com/170524-ac-stable/

Points to note:
1) You did have a character encoding, but it was UTF-8 and not ISO-88590-1 as suggested by Phzzz:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
So I changed it to the one that he uses instead. This may help solve rendering issues, but otherwise the effect should not be noticeable.

2) All the buttons are now the same size, namely 120 wide by 50 high (as well as their hover counterparts). All the stylesheets that reference the buttons now contain the following height and width information:
height: 50px;  /* button height */
width: 120px;  /* button width */
Where I have changed it, I have added a comment.

3) Both "Buy" and "Help" buttons, together with their hover counterparts, are now 90px square and the stylesheet adjusted to match. The position of the Buy button has been adjusted slightly to balance that of the Help button.

4) The spacing of the bottom row of buttons was slightly off - I've modified this to make it look cleaner.

5) I've managed to get the first word of the solved puzzle capitalised. I just did it on the fly without modifying the source array.

Take a look and let me know what you think....

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#306 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Oh, by the way, I agree with that naming convention, hence 170524-ac-stable to give the date in YYMMDD order, followed by my initials, and then the 'stable' bit to show that this is a stable version.

#307 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

Wonderful, Angus, I'll spend Thursday going over 170524-ac-stable, studying all your modifications, doing my best to get a good grasp of everything ;) . . and doubtless enjoying everything I see :P :2thumbsup:

#308 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 AM

The only changes that are NOT commented are the ones where I have changed image filenames, such as "kids hover.jpg" being changed to "kids_hover.png" and do on.

Something to "send up" so to speak is that the whole game image is a bit too low in the screen - that is, the top margin for the whole thing is substantially bigger than the bottom margin. It might be worth placing that so it's more central if possible.

#309 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Angus, you sly devil! You snuck in first letter capitalization without telling me! :2thumbsup:

Dare I ask? Can you do it for other sentence first letters? It would be first letter after a period and a space, an exclamation mark and a space, or a question mark and a space. E.g.

Why should I worry about dying? It's not going to happen in my lifetime!
~Anonymous

In a minute I'm going to post separately about the too-large gamecontainer, just to separate it out since it's kinda wordy.

#310 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:05 PM

OK, the large gamecontainer issue:

<<Something to "send up" so to speak is that the whole game image is a bit too low in the screen - that is, the top margin for the whole thing is substantially bigger than the bottom margin. It might be worth placing that so it's more central if possible. >>
I guess you're referring to the over-sized gamecontainer (this image is my entire maximized screen, th browser is Firefox):

gc%20too%20big.png

I don't know why it's appearing so large on your screen, maybe you've inadvertently hit CTRL-plus, that'd make it that size.
I got the oversized gamecontainer too when I first ran your new code (in Firefox), but then I cleared the cache and went to both  http://kwunk.com/170510-stable/and http://kwunk.com/170524-ac-stable/, and both appeared with the right size, which is:

correct%20gc%20size%20170524-ac-stable.p

Let me know if clearing the cache fixes the problem in your browser.

BTW, the current setup where CTRL +/- resizes the gamecontainer but not the background image is ideal. The users can resize the gamecontainer to their preference, and, hugely important, as the gamecontainer is made smaller with successive CTRL-minus the hidden parts of the background image can be seen, which is just perfect because a) it looks great that way, and B) I have secret plans for future versions. ;)

(IE and Edge are a problem, they do not display gamecontainer either in the same size as other browsers or the same location, let's ignore them for the moment)

I'm going to have to do a series of tests on monitors that are different size than mine to see how the gamecontainer appears.

Edit:

Just discovered montor size emulators, I'll give them a try.

#311 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Hi Beau, it's not that the game container is too big, it's the positioning on the screen I'm talking about:
Attached File  Kwunk.png   286.38KB   0 downloads

My left-hand monitor is 1920 x 1080, and the right-hand one is 1400 x 1050. Note how, on both monitors, the game container is sitting at the very bottom of the screen (in fact, the bottom bar of the game container is off screen) and there is a large gap at the top.

The horizontal positioning of the game is just fine; it's the vertical positioning that needs a bit of tweaking.

#312 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 533 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

<<it's not that the game container is too big, it's the positioning on the screen I'm talking about:>>

But if you hit CTRL-minus on either screen, the gamecontainer will size itself to the size it always was before 170524.

Here's my usual gamecontainer size:

170524-ac-on-my-large-screen.png

but if I hit CTRL-+ it zooms out to the same size you have on your monitors

170524-ac-on-my-large-screen-zoomed-out.

I've put up http://www.kwunk.com...with-backgroundand it looks like this

my%20screen%20with%20background.png

If, when you look at http://www.kwunk.com...with-background, the gamecontainer is too large (and the bottom cut off)  hit CTRL-minus and I'm pretty sure it will size to something very close to the above image.

Then hit CTRL-minus several times and you'll see the hidden treats.

Let's start including the background_image.jpg (attached) from now on: things load so much faster with your newly fixed image file sizes :1thumbsup:  I had been leaving out the background just to save loading time, and because it didn't contain anything germane to our discussions . . but when it's visible it's clearer how I want the whole page to appear.

It's intentional that the gamecontainer is slightly below vertical center. 

Also, I'm going to add a plaque in the background image telling the user to CTRL-plus/minus to zoom out/in.

Edit:

Can something like this Scaled/Proportional Content with CSS and JavaScript be used to force a particular gamecontainer size/location?