354 replies to this topic

#346 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

I'm sorry, I just haven't had a chance to get near this I'm afraid. I'll be away for work for a couple of evenings now, so realistically won't be able to do anything until nearer the end of the week now.

I'm sorry about that .... it may be easier for you to ask Bob to do it as I'm having to go away for work quite a lot at the moment ... it's all to do with training for the new position which I take up in a few weeks' time, after a holiday.

It's a case of "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" :(

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#347 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Okey-doke, I'll ask Bob, hopefully his interest will have been piqued and he'll want to dive in :o 

<<do with training for the new position . . . after a holiday.>>

Got to love the holiday part! :2thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted :1thumbsup:

#348 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hello Angus!! :hello:

Long time no talk, hope all's well with you!

Exciting news! Have a look at the latest   http://kwunk.com/170727-bj-mods
 It's got Bob Flora's responsive scaling, try it out with various browser window sizes.
 I've also made the word tiles disappear so that you only see the words, don't know why I didn't try this out years ago, I think it looks infinitely better, let me know if you agree.

And whip out your phone and try this version, http://kwunk.com/170727phone-app/

I've created a new gamecontainer for phones, enlarged the font size (for small screen visibility) and removed puzzles with more than seventeen words.

I'd love to hear any comments/observations you have :1thumbsup:

Cheers!! :cheers 2:

• Angoid likes this

#349 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hi Beau, holding reply for now as busy with work but I'll check over the next few days and feed back to you ....

Watch this space!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#350 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hi Beau,

Aced it!!! :2thumbsup:

I tried it on my Desktop browser and resized to various sizes, even stupid silly sizes you'd never browse at and all was well.  Both monitors worked fine.

I then tried it on my phone and it worked well both orientations and filled the screen nicely.

It seems to load faster on the Desktop as well - I haven't looked, but I presume you've got the graphics resized (in terms of KB)?

#351 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Sweet! banana.gif

on my phone and it worked well both orientations and filled the screen nicely.

The problem with phones is that the average finger is way too large and covers up the word and all around the word, so it's hard to see where to drop it.

But I looked at Kwunk on an iPhone today and was astonished to see that when you lay your finger on a word, the word appears above your finger, so you can infinitely more easily move it to a clearly visible location because your finger is below the line you want to drop on.

Don't know why it doesn't work for jigsawexplorer.com . . . but in any case I'm thrilled that it looks so good for Kwunk. :P

#352 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Yep, phones (less than 5 inches diagonally across) are always going to be quite fiddly as fingers are often bigger than the links and it's easy to get the wrong hotspot.

Phablets (between 5 and 7 inches diagonally across) will be a bit better, and tablets (more than 7 inches diagonally across) will fare the best.

I did find it a bit fiddly, but I accepted that as part and parcel of it being a phone.

#353 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

Just discovered that jigsawexplorer has a marvelous feature that solves the too-big-finger problem: you tap the piece you want to move, then tap the location you want to move it to, and it moves to that location. 

If you've tapped the correct location right next to the right piece, the pieces snap together.

I think it's quite an elegant workaround, and I've asked Bob Flora for a quote on creating this feature for Kwunk,

#354 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

That might also need adding to the instructions so people know they can do it.  But yes, I like it, quite an elegant workaround!

#355 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

<<That might also need adding to the instructions so people know they can do it.>>

Yes indeed, I'm working on a new Help! screen this very mo' . . .