#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Now the precedent is set; watch for other countries to also adopt this:

http://www.bleepingc...tern-democracy/

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#2 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

Our countries laws use to start in Calif but that looks like something every country could use.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

I know; I saw this yesterday. Meant to post here but got busy thus it didn't happen.
We won't be the last on this I don't think. Ed Snowden essentially said that it's as bad as those laws passed by autocratic countries.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#4 DevDream

DevDream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

Why am I not surprised ???

The government gotta do what they gotta do

The police will need search warrants to search through the data though, correct ? Plus i suppose vpns are secure to encrypt your data, unless they can break that encryption too which i wouldnt be surprised about either- snowden idid basically spill the whole thing about the ability to wiretap into communications

#5 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

This is the thing with Government surveillance.  Many people, myself included, don't agree with it all 

Here's the thing: if a degree of Government surveillance really does keep me and my family safe, then I'd rather that than find that they get blown to bits because the Government has considered that secret communication by terrorist groups is far more important than national security.  But the point is, is it all necessary?

Electronically speaking, you cannot tell whether any communication is terrorists exchanging details or just ordinary, run-of-the-mill stuff.  It has to be all collected.

Do I like that?  No.  Not at all.  Do I have anything to hide?  You bet!!  My bank account details, for starters.

But I think it's increasingly becoming a necessary evil :(

My main worry is that such data could be used to persecute people - for example religious minority groups - at a later date.

Big subject though!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#6 DevDream

DevDream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

My worry is that communications could get misinterpreted - what if it's just banter between friends ?

#7 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Yep - that's also a concern.  For example, they look for all emails / communication containing the word "bomb."

Now you get sentences such as "That must be worth a bomb" (meaning to be worth a lot of money) being flagged up for review.

Or if you want to persecute Christian believers, and you find them by looking for words such as "Church" and "Christ" (as well as others) ... now every reference to Christmas gets flagged, to say nothing of the place called Christchurch (as you know there is a place called Christchurch here in the UK as well as the one in New Zealand).

Or you're trying to stop people using swear words.  And you get filtered due to the Scunthorpe Problem.

#8 DevDream

DevDream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Im hoping they'd need a warrant to search the info so theyvcant randomly track everyone.

However, would all attempts to search is it possible to even log these attempts ? Then arrest those responsible to hijacking (as in , unauthorised access as in when not necessary) data