• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

I have a Windows 7 laptop and got my internet turned on a month ago for the first 2 weeks everything was okay then 2 weeks ago my computer was starting running slow. I looked at my internet status and says IPv6 connectivity no internet access. So I took it back to factory settings and still have the problem I called Verizon internet support sent a technician out (that didn't know a darn think about computers) and of course said it was my computer which is fine I checked my settings and set to automatic detect for LAN and wireless settings. I don't know alot about fixing computers but any help we be appreciated thanks in advance. And need step by step directions how to fix and all my hardware and stuff are working normally

#2 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

Hi celticblue1994,

I've been out of networking for a few years but as far as i know you should be set to IPv4.  And IPv4 should say, "Internet."  IPv6 connectivity should say "no internet access." IPv6 is not being used yet.  You should open network and sharing center, if using Windows, go to IPv4 Properties and select "Obtain automatically."  And "obtain DNS automatically."  From a command prompt, you can type IPCONFIG and if you are connected, you will see the PC IP, Gateway and subnet mask Of course if you know the router IP, you can set up your connection manually.  ''Gateway=" IP address of your router.  But i think you will be fine with automatic.  If it's still slow, it's not the connection per say, it could be as simple as power failing your router, the cable, a virus, many things.  Please provide more information.

G Luck, rob

#3 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:02 AM

Hi Celticblue1994,

Another thought in addition to what Rob suggested is to connect up a different computer, if you have one.

If that runs slow as well, then you know it's your Internet connection.  If it's fast, then it's something to do with the one you're using here.

Is it the entire computer or restricted to Internet-related activities?  That is, is it slow if you run Word / Excel / any other application that does not need an Internet connection.

Can you identify a specific time when it started to run slowly?  If so, had you just done something (installed or removed some software, visited a website that did something to your computer, anything else untoward)?

Have a look here regarding Internet speed tests:

http://www.which.co....band-speed-test

About halfway down that page, there is a speed checker that will test your download and upload speeds.

As Rob said, we need more information to be able to help you with this!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#4 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Great post, Angoid!!  I use speedtest.net to make sure i'm getting speed i pay for. 

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

As Angus asked, does your entire computer run slowly, or is it only the internet connection but all other applications run up to speed?

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#6 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:41 AM

IPv6 did have internet connection before and will check everything then post back here and using DSL internett

#7 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

did an ipconfig and this is test of it wireless

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain.actdsltmp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4876:52f2:490a:1031%
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

#8 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:11 AM

IPCONFIG test wired
Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::793e:17db:f715:dcfd%18
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Tunnel adapter isatap.domain.actdsltmp:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{787176F0-9E6F-4B4B-903F-8B90B4AD2676}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8071CA3F-44C7-400D-88E2-5C2B7DF3F655}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5cf2:8c15:ce3:782:3f57:fefd
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ce3:782:3f57:fefd%19
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

#9 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

did a broadband speed test

download speed 2.20mb/s

upload speed 0.61mb/s

ping: 194ms 

an utility driver said i needed to update 8 different drivers but wanted me to buy the proversion to fix them but gave me the list of drivers i needed to update but when i tried to update said was working fine and said i had the latest driver installed unless i go to www.driverguide.com and update each manually

#10 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

The ipconfig commands tell us a bit about your Ethernet adapter / wireless connection, and the broadband speed test tells us how much bandwidth you're getting.
You've definitely got an Internet connection:

That's the local address on your router.

While not amazing, it's OK but the ping time is a bit slow.

That said, does your entire computer run slowly, or is it only the internet connection but all other applications run up to speed?

What happens when you try to use a different device on the same Internet connection?
How about the affected computer on a different Internet connection (say, at a friend's or relative's place)

Does your laptop run better when connected to the Internet wirelessly or when wired?  Wired is always faster as a general rule.

What we're trying to do at this stage is flush out whether the problem is computer-related or Internet related.

What did you use to tell you about driver updates?  Some of the tools out there will tell you that you need new drivers, and when you try to download them you get greeted by a paywall.
Generally speaking, you need venture no further than Windows Update as you know that those have been certified by Microsoft for Windows,  No paywalls, no Beta versions, no mucking about, just drivers that have been qualified against your version of Windows.  Unless you're testing those drivers, of course.

Oh another thing ... when running slowly, is there a lot of disk activity or do the fans suddenly speed up and make a lot of noise?

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#11 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Well you definitely have trouble.  My speedtest.net test shows 15ms ping; 83.6 mbps and 65.83 mbps.,  I would suggest, you do speedtest the other way i.e. if that was plugged in, you do it wireless, or versa-vice.  Both ways should be faster than you had, but if wireless is much faster, for example, you would know it's your hardware, maybe a cat5/6 cable for example.  Do remember that wireless will not be as fast as wired.If all is slow, you should call your provider because you aare definitely paying for faster!!

#12 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

ok i downloaded driver booster 4 so it updated all my drivers going to do IPconfig again and do speed test to make sure it's running faster yet but pages are loading slow yet 

#13 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:08 AM

‎Sunday, ‎December ‎18, ‎2016
10:01 PM
IPCONFIG test wired
                                                                                                                               Windows IP Configuration                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:                                                                                                                Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                         
 Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:                                                                                                                          Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain.actdsltmp                           
 Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::793e:17db:f715:dcfd%18               
 IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5                                
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:                                                                                                                            Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                        
  Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:                                                                                                                  Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                        
 Tunnel adapter isatap.{787176F0-9E6F-4B4B-903F-8B90B4AD2676}:                                                                                                      Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                        
 Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :                                                                                                                          Tunnel adapter isatap.{8071CA3F-44C7-400D-88E2-5C2B7DF3F655}:                                                                                                      Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                          
Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :                                                                                                                          Tunnel adapter isatap.domain.actdsltmp:                                                                                                                            Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                     
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain.actdsltmp                                                                                                         Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:                                                                                                                  Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected                        

SPEED TEST
DOWNLOAD SPEED 2.58 MB/S
UPLOaD SPEED 0.90 MB/S
PING 218MS

checked doing wireless internet
‎Sunday, ‎December ‎18, ‎2016
10:38 PM
DOWNLOAD SPEED 2.22 MB/S
UPLOAD SPEED 1.38MB/S 
PING 218MS
‎Monday, ‎December ‎19, ‎2016
12:04 AM
DOWNLOAD SPEED 2.25 MB/S
UPLOAD SPEED 1.27MB/S 
PING 162MS

#14 celticblue1994

celticblue1994

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:13 AM

i also ran advance system care an got rid of a few plugins i had in chrome browser so since i have done that my browser seems to be loading faster but since it's running pretty good so far, going to not worry about the IPv6 issue but will look back on here to see any replys about this thanks

#15 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi Celticblue,

Advanced System Care, if it's the one from IOBit you're referring to, actually gets mixed reviews and its use is often not recommended.

A bit of reading homework for you:

http://www.howtogeek...eed-up-your-pc/

http://www.howtogeek...eed-on-windows/

http://www.howtogeek...ctronics-store/

The takeaway for me is this: Anything (with one exception which I'll come to in a mo) that calls itself an "optimiser" is a total waste of bytes.  At best they do things that can be done natively under Windows and at worst they can lead to a broken system.

I'd seriously consider unintstalling Advanced System Care.  There have been reports of it not going away nicely so if you go down this route and removing it using the uninstaller does not work, post back and we'll dig out some instructions for you.

Now for the exception: Ccleaner.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

The free one will do just fine.

Download the installer and install it.  Run it up and click on Options.

Then click on Advanced.

Then UNcheck the option called "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours"

Also make sure the option called "Only delete files in Recycle Bin older than 24 hours" is also CLEAR.

Click on the Cleaner icon again, and then click on Run Cleaner in the bottom right of the program window.

Let it do its stuff - it may take a few minutes to run.

No need to reboot afterwards, but doing so will not be a bad idea anyway.