3 replies to this topic

#1 don2013

don2013

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

How can I safely purchase a USB stick to begin backing up my files on this thing? I have heard

horror stories about folks buying USB's that are already compromised in some way...Don't know

a thing about this business of usb's or backing stuff up, so all help greatly appreciated by this

ole man !!!

thanks

don :unsure:

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

It's good you are careful. After you purchase the USB stick, I suggest that you first format it. That will erase any installed viruses on it. I usually format in NTFS, most USB sticks come formatted in FAT (File Allocation Table) so that Linux users can use them. FAT is the old file system used for DOS based operating systems that Windows ME and 98 (and earlier computers) used. NTFS (New Technology File System) is what Microsoft uses since Windows XP arrived, it is a far more stable and efficient system. OR you can re-format in FAT also if you prefer.

[EDIT]:  Ooops, I meant:  "NTFS is what Microsoft uses since Windows 2000 arrived...."

(I always forget about Windows 2000...)

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Another thing to be sure of is buying a proper branded one, not some no-brand el-cheapo unit that costs next to nothing.
You sometimes get units that say they are a certain size (32GB, 64GB, etc) but then fail to store your data properly ... transpires that they end up being much less than the reported capacity.
Have a look here:
http://www.makeuseof...now-buying-one/

Also, this is worth looking at:
http://www.instructa...sh-Drive-Scam!/

After backing your valuable files up to the drive, be sure to check that they copied correctly using a file comparison tool such as WinDiff.
It defeats the object of having a backup if the backup is corrupt or not taken correctly at all!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#4 don2013

don2013

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Thanks you guys..got some reading to do there....thanks for the help....

don :)