Photo

asus n53sv not working (not getting power?)

asus n53sv

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

hello i got an asus n53sv i want to fix it, is not working it is not getting power.

the carging ligth is not turning on and im not able to start it (like it dossent get power) just both a new pc charger to see if my old charger was the problem but nothing did change...

i have also relapsed "http://www.asusparts...-N1QDC1000-E02"powersuply and put it in to my pc along with a new fan but still no change 
any one have any tips for me?

ps my "http://www.asusparts...-N1QDC1000-E02"the new and the old one do shoot out sparks then plugging in the power cable and i dont know why. 

thanks

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hi surrekopp, welcome to S-A-F :)

I presume this is your device: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/N53SV/

So you've changed the power supply brick - no difference,  Does not power on.  Have I got that right?

When you press the power button, nothing happens - is that right?

The power board in the laptop itself is "shooting sparks" is it?  That's bad news.

It sounds to me as though the fault could be in your power brick, but I'm not sure from how you're worded your question whether you've tried a different one or not.

But if the power board is shooting sparks, I wouldn't be surprised if your motherboard is fried.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

hello Extremus.  thanks

yes hat is the laptop i am talking about 

yes

yes

i think so too

i have 2 power bricks my old one and i recently got a new one and no difference.

yes it is possible it it my my motherboard is fried... i hope not bit is it any way to find out for sure? 
so do you think my options are 1: new motherboard or 2: get it to a repair shop 

PS i am trying to fix it my self to reduce costs 

thanks 

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

Is there a light on the power brick itself to indicate whether it is working?
If so, does it come on when you plug it in and turn it on at the mains?

For it to do nothing when you power on suggests that the battery is also completely dead, or will not take a charge. This is unusual - you normally get at least a little activity before it shuts itself down due to lack of power.

Is there a chance that the CMOS battery has died? Changing that on some laptops is easy, but on others they place it in an awkward, almost-impossible-to-get-at position.

If you're comfortable with measuring voltages using a voltmeter and you know what voltages to expect and where (you'll need the service manual for that) then you may be able to work out whether something is dead depending on whether it's getting the right voltages.

I still don't like this "shooting out sparks" bit ... what made you suspect the power board inside the laptop?
That makes me think you could be looking at a new laptop :(

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#5 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

yes on the power brick there is a blue light indicating it is on, so yea when i plug it in it is on and working 

well the battery on the laptop have taken a turn for the worst and it barley works without power. when it was working the battery time was down to 1 min or so if the power cable fell out and you dident plug it back in it died for lack of power..

but i removed the laptop battery to se if any difference and there was none, and i know that the pc dont need the battery inn to work as long as the power cable is plunged in i tested it a long time ago

well it can be the cmos battery but i will need to borrow my main pc`s battery to see if it will do any difference i dont have a voltmeter on hand..

yes to bad with no voltmeter on hand tho

me nether  i just assumed it was som kind of faulty wire that is why i suspected it and after some googling i found alot of guides to relapse it so i assumed it was a common part that broke

i hope not im a bit short on cash atm and i dont think i can return the parts XD

tanks for the help :P

#6 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

I have been down the road with this situation on laptops several times, and it always boils down to one of three reasons:

#1: the wall adapter ("brick") has failed;

#2: the battery itself has failed;

#3: the connector jack that plugs into the socket on the laptop has a broken wire, OR the socket itself in the laptop has a broken wire. Usually you can tell this if the charging light turns off and on if you wiggle the plug. From what you say, it seems that is not the problem in your case.

So, you are playing the odds; percentage-wise, most of the time the battery has failed, it is common with laptops. There are lots of online sites that specialize in laptop batteries, you will find your cheapest bargains there. Maybe there are some members here that can suggest some websites in the USA.

I just had this experience with a client's laptop; he had the same problem you have. I ran a tester on the wall brick jack and it registered as live coming out of the brick, so I assumed the battery had gone bad. Wrong! I ordered a new brick and still no charge. I then learned that sometimes there is still current flowing from the adapter, but not full strength.  So.....I order a new battery and "walla"...he had full charge again.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#7 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

hello so i tested out if my cmos battery was the problem well it is not bit i found out soming else that worries me :S
i heard low peeping tone coming from the laptop then the charging cable was connected and alot of heat coming from the red area on the image
i think you might be right mate that my motherboard is fried :S damnn 

image in "https://postimg.org/image/5a1a4z4zr/"

#8 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

hello ranchhand 
yes my battery did only have about 1 min battery life

but if i remove the battery the pc shod work without it if it is only the battery right? well for me it dossent

so i dont belive the battery is the problem but a new one is still nedded it i wana use it without the power brick xD

#9 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Yes, I agree, if the battery is bad the lap should still work if plugged into the wall adapter. I guess yours does not.

I am not sure what the beeping sound is, but if it has a pattern to it may be a diagnosis signal from the system beeper. If steady beeping, I don't know. You might consult your manual that came with the laptop.

I agree with Angus that sparks from the jack are not good. However, if the sparks are coming from the plug-in jack, that may not mean that the mainboard is damaged; if localized to the power jack, it may have not affected the mainboard itself.

If the new jack replacement module is not too expensive and not too hard to replace, it might be a chance that you can take.

As far as the heat on the mainboard; that is a hard one. How hot does it get? Is it too hot to touch with your finger, or maybe not that bad?

#10 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

yes mine does not

it is a steady beeping 

yes it is coming from the plug in jack but i have gotten a new one from "http://www.asusparts...-N1QDC1000-E02"so if that was the problem it soud be solved from changing it.. 

i already did

yea i belive it is a hard one i have no idea but im not any good with pc hardware i just know the basic  yea back to the heat i notest that as soon as you plug in the cable the heat starts generating and after a short while you notes it gets hot and it can burn your hand on it yes bit i got scared when i notest it got hot and removed the power cabel

#11 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

updated picture from the other side of the motherboard "https://postimg.org/image/buucmyab1/"

maby any of you can see anything that can be generating heat

#12 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Well, at this point I will have to go with Angus' thought....looks like that laptop has seen its last days. If it is overheating that badly I wouldn't trust it for safety any more. That's the trouble with laptops; they are really not designed to be worked on. On a desktop parts can be easily replaced, modded, etc. A laptop is close to being a "disposable" computer.

#13 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

well i was thinking the same when i started but i had some kind of hope but if you both tel me it is a lost project then i need to agree by now 

just hoping i am able to return the parts i got xD 

thanks for the help guys :D

#14 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hi Surrekopp,

Not sure if you're still here but aside from agreeing with Bob, another thought that occurred to me ...

With regard to the overheating, is it possible that a cooling fan has failed?  Although there should be a thermal cut-out temperature (you can sometimes change this in the BIOS settings) above which the machine will turn itself off automatically, and without notice or warning.

What about you usual operating environment?  That is, do you rest it on a solid surface or is it placed on something soft such as a carpet?  A solid surface is better at allowing air to move freely, meaning that the fans can suck and push the air around the unit much easier.  When used on a carpet, laptops can easily overheat.

But if not then .... safety first ... I wouldn't trust it any more.

If you do have to take it to the tip, make sure you salvage the hard drive at least as it will have valuable data on it, and even if not you can always reformat and use as a back-up drive with an appropriate USB enclosure.

#15 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

hello  angoid  (sorry for calling you Extremus im new to the forum and dident realize it was the forum rank and not a user name)

yes i am still here 

yes my cooling fan is broken but it happend some time ago and i was afraid id make it worse if i open up my pc to relapse it so i got a cooling pad but the odd thing now it seams like all the power going in to the pc stops around the red circle on my pictures and generating alot of heat and it is far way from the fan  

i never used my laptop in bed or anyting other then a table and if i uded it in bed i did have a cooling pad 

so knowing my fan was failing too along with it not starting so i got a new fan from eBay to relapse it along with "http://www.asusparts...N1QDC1000-E02" 

but after relapsing both my parts in and a new power brick no changes..

i am planing to keep most of the small parts to see if i ever get any use for it like the hard drive. prossesor, cd room, ram etc 

BTW did you look at the two pictures i linked can you see any reason why there is heat generating from that spot? or is it is the mother bord that is simply fried