Photo

asus n53sv not working (not getting power?)

asus n53sv

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi surrekopp,

No worries with the "extremus" thing .... that's actually a custom title: you can set it yourself in your profile but you may need to have a certain number of posts to your name before you can change it.

Unfortunately, laptops are usually very difficult to service and modify.  The usual spots for generating heat are the CPU and the GPU.

There won't be a lot you can salvage I'm afraid: the processors are different on laptops to what they are on desktops and could even be bespoke to that particular motherboard.  it seems sad to have to throw away a perfectly good CPU if the mobo is dead, but by the time you get to replacing the mobo, it often works out cheaper to replace the whole unit.  Same with memory: laptop memory is incompatible with desktop memory.

If you do salvage anything, definitely keep the hard drive and use it for backups.  Also, the CD/DVD drive may be worth keeping if you have anything else you can put it into (although it looks like a bespoke design - you may be able to get a caddy for it).

The choice is yours: you could take it to a repair shop and get them to assess how much it would cost to repair, but there may be a cost implication to this.

Or replace it.

As Bob said, if it's overheating and the cooling system is not at fault, then I wouldn't trust it any longer.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#17 surrekopp

surrekopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

oh ok :P 

well yes i can get it to a repair shot på get them to look at it but it is a 4- 5 years old laptop and the specs is dissent but if im just going to try and salvage anything and see if there is any use for it in the future if not i can always throw it away at a later date 

but its not to bad i have never bin much of a fan of laptops but i have a huge love for tower pc <3

#18 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

If it uses DDR3 RAM and is generally a fairly up-to-date machine, then it may well be worth it.

But if not, then they may well tell you that your money could be better spent.

Go along and see, and if you feel so inclined please do let us know how you get along!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.