Photo

[Inactive] Can mp3 files abd other non-exe filrd be infected ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AppleIsEverything

AppleIsEverything

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Is this possible considering they are not excutable ? I mean i know they can by means of exploitation of a media player, but is it possible for hidden software installs to convert file formats? If so, would the file need to be placed in a folder (as would the hidden file)?

I also wanted to ask... I heard that with windows, cuz of the way attributes are read in windows explorer, simply opening the folder where the infected file is can cause the virus to be executed. Is this the case with macs?

Thank you

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

Moved this here (from the Members' Lounge) as nowhere else seemed to fit this question about potential malware.

I don't think hidden software converts file formats.  That is, it's not worth the time of crooks to write such software as it is highly complex for limited return.

It is possible to hide stuff in files; this is called steganography.  It happens more in image files than audio files, but audio steganography may be possible.

For example, take a look here: http://www.garykessl.../fsc_stego.html

Double extensions in Windows can be used to trick users into thinking the file is a JPG when in fact it is an executable. That is, the file is called malcode.jpg.exe but with Windows' default setting to hide extensions for known file types, this will show up in an Explorer listing as malcode.jpg.  It is even possible to give it the JPEG icon.  But this does not hide the fact that it is actually an executable.

I don't know offhand about Macs, but that explanation may go some way towards helping you.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 AppleIsEverything

AppleIsEverything

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

Yup, thank you. That's all I already knew from my reading :-)

I just wondered whether hidden indtalls can be done, makes sense TBH

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

On a Mac, I'm not sure.  It's probably one of those things where it could if a security researcher or criminal outfit had the wherewithal to go out and do it.

A bit like the myth that there is no malware out there for Linux: there is, and more of it is being written now as its popularity as an OS rises.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#5 AppleIsEverything

AppleIsEverything

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

Thanks, Angoid,

Yeah, that's true. But my question was regarding whether mac reads attributes of files like Windows - for Windows, simply navigating to the folder where a file comtaining a virus is stored executes a virus e.g. Mp3 files can contain malware if they exploit vulnerabilities of media players like buffer overrun which can happen by simply navigaring to the folder the mp3 file is stored. Is this similar to a mac ?