12 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

I have dual monitors. The Taskbar appears on both monitors (top, bottom, right or left, as specified).

Is there a way to have the Taskbar appear only on one screen?

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

I'm in front of Windows 7 at the moment (at work) but if you go to the personalisation or screen resolution menu (right-click on the desktop, but not on an icon).

For me (Win 7 at work at the mo - unless someone beats me to it I'll check from Win 10 this evening) ...

Right-click on an open space on the Desktop and choose "Screen resolution"

Try different values in the "Multiple displays" dropdown.

On Windows 7, I have my taskbar on one monitor only but the other monitor shows just an empty desktop.

Unless someone chimes in beforehand, I'll see how it works at home where I do have Windows 10...

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

I figured out how it can be done :D

Settings > Personalization > Taskbar:
►Taskbar location Right
►Multiple Displays/Show taskbar on all displays: Off

Control Panel > Display > Change Display Settings:
► #2 monitor on left, #1 on right
► #1 is red, and I checked "Make this my main display" > Apply

Even though Windows calls the right monitor #1, it is in fact my secondary monitor.
Now the Taskbar is only on the right monitor's right side, in always visible mode . . which is just what I wanted 005.gif
I had to switch all the icons on both monitors, but that was easily done 003.gif

Here's why I'm trying out this setup: there's only one thing I like about the Taskbar, which is that by clicking a program's icon it can be maximized or minimized . . and when there are multiple open windows, ALT-TAB quick switch's multiple Preview images are a) somewhat confusing, which means that B) I frequently inadvertently choose the wrong one 011.gif  I find I can see them better in the Taskbar.

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Well done Beau, FWIW my monitors are also the "wrong way round" which is fine until I boot into a live CD/DVD of some Linux distros to try them out: I end up with my mouse pointer going off he right-hand side of the right-hand monitor and then re-appearing at the left-hand side of the left monitor, and then getting stuck in the middle (right hand side of the left monitor / left-hand side of the right monitor).

That drives me *absolutely nuts*  :lol:

You then have to go into the settings to fix it.  Until next boot (it's a live disk distro).

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#5 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

<<mouse pointer going off he right-hand side of the right-hand monitor and then re-appearing at the left-hand side of the left monitor,>>

Yup! :wacko:

The only boot problem I've had is that sometimes all desktop icons come up on one screen (weird that it doesn't happen all the time, maybe depends on which monitor's On switch I hit first . . and both monitors are touch-screen, so each has a USB from the computer, which I think may be the cause), but I have the Save Desktop/Restore Desktop utility (couldn't live without it :P) so one click restores the icon positions.

#6 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

Yes, I know what you mean by the save / restore desktop icons bit ... I used to have a problem at work where, all of a sudden and for no known or good reason, all the icons would suddenly arrange themselves in alphabetical order down the left-hand side of the screen.

I raised an internal IT call about it, and after months of doing absolutely nothing it was silently closed with the text, "Not considered a problem."  You can imagine the love I felt on that one, like being taken seriously.  Not.

That's when I found a utility online to do it - so I downloaded it and made use of it whenever it happened (not often, but often enough to be annoying).

It was on an earlier version of Windows, and now it doesn't happen (Win 7) and it doesn't happen at home either (Win 10).

#7 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Happens to me almost every day :( in Win 10.

I said "Taskbar . . maximized or minimized program . . ALT-TAB quick switch's multiple Preview images are a) somewhat confusing" . . after one day I've trashed the Taskbar . . Alt-Tab switching is infinitely easier :P Now I'm going back to that thread about how to trash the Taskbar altogether ;)

#8 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

I've found a better desktop save/restore icons utility, called DesktopOK  The old Rt-Clk save and restore wouldn't remember the desktop state on cold boot and you'd have to restore it first thing when you powered up. 

DesktopOK fractionally less convenient than Rt-Clk save and restore, which was just Rt-Clk anywhere on desktop > Save . . with DesktopOK it's click its move the mouse over the desktop icon > Save. 'Nuthin' to complain about ;)

Incidentally, I'm unable to find the old Rt-Clk save and restore on my C drive, either with Control Panel > Programs and Features or with Revo UnInstaller. I always like to remove unused programs, but at least it doesn't seem to be interfering with DesktopOK

#9 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

I really like Desktop OK, someone on this forum recommended it (maybe Jim?) several years ago when I had a troubling BSOD problem and it would scatter my desktop icons all over the screen. Considering I have probably 50, it was a super pain to put them all back in order again. One of the program gems, IMHO.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#10 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

Just realized that having two (or more) monitors is part of the problem. I shut the monitors off if I'll be away from the machine for a while . .  they're touch-screen monitors, so each has a USB connection . . so it's impossible to turn them back on simultaneously . . so the computer recognizes one monitor connection and moves the icons to one monitor before it gets the signal that there's a second monitor. Hopeless to try to press two power buttons exactly simultaneously :rolleyes: 

When cold-booting, turn on the monitors before hitting the machine's power button, so it recognizes both . . the icons end up in their correct position. :1thumbsup:

#11 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Interesting.  I never had that problem - either on that work set-up I referred to above nor on my home system (where it has never been a problem).

Perhaps it's something peculiar to the hardware or video driver?

I know I Googled t quite a bit at the time, and all I got was instructions on how to set/prevent auto-arrange - nothing about it just happening by itself or on reboots.

Only time when it *might* happen to me now is if I take my work laptop home to work from home.  Then I only use it with one monitor, not two.  Resetting the layout of my Desktop sometimes confuses it, but saving / restoring the Desktop usually sorts me out in instants.

Attached File  RtClick.jpg   16.72KB   0 downloads

#12 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

The screenshot reminds me, once when the desktop was all screwed up I went to hit Restore Desktop and, because Save Desktop is right next to it, hit Save Desktop instead. Boy, was I frosted! :angry:

#13 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ah yeah .... I share your pain.  Nothing worse than clicking on the icon/link right next to the one you want where it does the exact opposite of what you want :(

I call it "saving time" (using the theory that it takes about 20 minutes to save 5 seconds).