• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

Has anyone tried " TOR " browser and if so, how was your experience?

Of course all agree that it's mostly for the dark web but wondering what experience anyone has had.

#2 manunkind

manunkind

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Extremely familiar with it.  What are your goals in using it?

PC Sympathy

s++=ENDIKSA;++y(;-p)}d ms++n;suajsmn+ky(n-qi}?print:??;

#3 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Extremely familiar with it.  What are your goals in using it?

I am always thinking about more security, etc..

#4 manunkind

manunkind

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

It's a trade-off really.  Will it make you 100% secure?  No.  Will it make you 100% private?  No.  The way the onion network routes your packets causes significant performance impacts.  Total packet travel time can increase 10x-15x as it traverses the networks.  I use it for very specific reasons, but I do not use it for my normal everyday browsing.  Combinations of Chrome and uBlock or uMatrix, or even Firefox with NoScript will give you a good amount of overall protections (with knowing that Chrome is more secure than Firefox, and Firefox is more private than Chrome).

It has it's uses, but most sites will not work with all the protections enabled.  So what happens?  You start to selectively "whitelist" sites which puts you right back at the level of protections that you can get from other browsers, without the huge performance impact of course.

If you want to simply browse certain sites "anonymously", than Tor is your browser.  Just know that all Tor exit nodes are known and monitored and your traffic can be inspected/analyzed/sniffed as it leaves the Tor network and gets "unwrapped" for delivery back onto the public internet.  We know that the FBI owns a selection of these exit nodes and is monitoring them closely.

Many different ways to think about this.  This is why I asked what are your exact goals.  Overall, it's a preference and you must factor in what exactly you are trying to achieve with it and determine if it's the best tool for your particular use-case.

PC Sympathy

#5 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

I guess it's wondering about the other 95% of all the web site pages in the world that we can never see otherwise.

#6 manunkind

manunkind

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

If you want to browse .onion links, then yes, Tor is your only option.  Be careful there though.  You might see stuff you never intended to see.

PC Sympathy

#7 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

You might see stuff you never intended to see.???

Give me example ?

#8 manunkind

manunkind

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:18 PM

I'll PM you.

PC Sympathy

#9 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

OK

#10 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

It's a Dark Web site with a clear web presence, but it gives a snapshot idea of what you might expect to find:

https://www.deepdotweb.com/

I found that site once as they also carry a degree of tech news.

This version of the URL...

http://deepdot35wvmeyd5.onion/

... is only accessible using the TOR browser.

Pretty much everything of what you can find on the Dark Web carries no interest to me whatsoever, plus there is an increased danger of getting hit by malware due to the anonymity of it all.

I've only once ever looked ... was very careful with what I clicked on, and read in interesting article about online security.  It was a blog site - I didn't look elsewhere on that blog, but it did leave me wondering why it was even on the Dark Web to be honest.

Security researches often need to dive down there and this is how some of the news about the latest malware is brought to light.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#11 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Thx Angoid, the deepdotweb is interesting link.