6 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Been getting on the Conky bandwagon with my Ubuntu installation (16.04 LTS (Long-Term Support)) and came up with this:

Attached File  screenshot.png   784.85KB   1 downloads

I've only known about Conky / Lua for a few short weeks, and that's the result of playing around with it.

You can grab the source code from GitHub - I created an account there a couple of days ago now so anything else that's fun or I think might be useful may well end up there :)

https://github.com/HKCU/conky_iss

Unfortunately, there is already an Angoid over at GitHub - been there since 2012 but it's not me. I've used the name HKCU instead as I always think tacking numbers at the end of a username (eg Angoid01) is a bit naff.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

Reminds me....I really, really have to start investigating Linux, maybe I will start with Puppy, or MInt. I have used Knoppix a lot, but it doesn't seem to be as popular. Maybe because it is TSR, if that is the correct designation any more. As I get older I don't keep up with technology like I used to.

Hey Angus, for us in the ignorance class, please explain what Conky/LUa is. A graphics editor?

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

I only discovered it recently, like in the past few weeks.

Basically, I'd noticed that some people were doing these natty-looking dynamic displays on their Linux desktops, showing such things as disk usage, displaying a clock, system performance stats and the likes and even one that shows the phases of the moon!

A bit more digging showed that they are using a system monitor application called Conky. Out of the box so to speak, it shows a simple system monitor that is functional but not that exciting.
By messing around with it and changing the configuration, you can make it look rather cool.
And then you can make it call a script written in a language called Lua. Lua is a scripting language a bit like Python, but with different syntax and structure.

I'd not had much coding experience with Linux, so decided that this would form a good learning platform, to use some system commands and bring them together as a script.

In case others found it helpful, I set up a GitHub account and uploaded it all there so if you follow the link in my opening post, you can grab the source and also a configuration guide (HTML) where I give more details on what I've done.

It's worth starting with a popular Linux distro as you're more likely to find information online or knowledgeable folk as and when you get questions.
That said, the nice thing is that you can create partitions and multi-boot. That gives you the opportunity to use many different distros and no need to completely dispense with Windows if you don't want to.
Unlike Windows, Linux will work from a logical partitionm (Windows requires a primary partition) and it doesn't have to be the first partition on the disk.
If you do want to multiboot with Windows then you do need to make sure Windows is installed first, before any Linux distro.

A bit more about Conky: https://en.wikipedia...onky_(software)
And more about Lua: https://www.lua.org/start.html

I've only been meddling with them for a few short weeks so I'm far from being an expert. But it's been fun and I've learned quite a bit I think!

I don't think this project is finished yet somehow....

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#4 manunkind

manunkind

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Reminds me....I really, really have to start investigating Linux, maybe I will start with Puppy, or MInt. I have used Knoppix a lot, but it doesn't seem to be as popular. 

You can use virtual machines as well.  Virtualization has come a long way and, unless you are a hard-core gamer, most people (myself included) prefer this over dual-booting.  This allows you to easily destroy/rebuild operating systems, make quick system changes on the fly, and take advantage of snapshots which you can take before any major system updates like kernel patches or video drivers and restore the snapshot when they break your system (and they will from time to time).  Look into VirtualBox or Vmware Workstation.

Also, I put Windows users on Mint all the time and they can easily transition to it.  It's Ubuntu-based so you have all of that community support as well, but it's tweaked more to behave and look like Windows.

Have fun!

PC Sympathy

s++=ENDIKSA;++y(;-p)}d ms++n;suajsmn+ky(n-qi}?print:??;

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

Thanks! That was helpful.....Attached File  2thumbsup.gif   1.66KB   0 downloads

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#6 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Just looking for another project now ...... :)

#7 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

And the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon strikes again.

I've only know about Lua for a few short weeks, and then I read only today at BC I read an article about IoT malware and it references a botnet called LuaBot (written, you guessed it, in Lua)!

https://www.bleeping...tech-equipment/

While for many years the GafGyt malware strain dominated the IoT malware landscape, in 2016, new threats rose to power, such as Mirai, LuaBot, Rex, PNScan, LizardStresser, Hajime, and others.

(emphasis mine)

If you don't know what the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is, then you'll probably run across it again pretty soon.