4 replies to this topic

#1 irratedadjective

irratedadjective

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:56 AM

hi,

a project i want to continue with needs to have as fast a raid0 PCIe controller card[around 300 to $400]

it'll have 2 SSD cards[sata 3].

looking online for info about fast cards has proven fruitless in that i can not find clear information about anything specifically related to the speed potential wanted or that could be.

this has been an idea moving towards reality...and is in the build stage now.

am not able to find the right or near right one, so far.

some advice or thoughts or 'known-ofs' about PCIe raid cards would be most welcome.

thanks

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Welcome to SAF!

It's been a long time since I dug into RAID...I studied my head off when taking the MCP exams but that was so long ago I hesitate to give you any advice since the technology has come so far since "back in the day" of NT Server IV.

Sounds like a fun project, though.

Here is a link to a pretty deep discussion related to your project, I hope there is something that will help you. Don't overlook the "More Resources" button at the bottom of the page.

Here is a link to actual building steps for two PCIe cards in RAID 0.

Sorry I could not be of more help, possibly someone else here will post in.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 irratedadjective

irratedadjective

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

ty ranch hand.

aye, the hay days, goodness me. they were really sunny! :)

i will look in on the links provided[ty again...for these :) ].

i came across many titles/topics or similar discussions but, no one really seems to know specifically and w/o going into way too much 'detail' about the needed, the real deal here, i.e. the ''speed''!!! so, i gave up.

what i had hoped to find was a simple almost spec-like pre-sents on raid cards with the best[fastest/most proven['']] to the mid-range to the lowest working contender. there wasn't anywhere online such, that i could find.

setting up a raid0 in my book, is comfortable within 2 simple words...very cool if a little over the top.

i found it enhancingly enjoyable though challenging and [somewhat] rewarding with the result/s attained at that time.

here i am once again, visiting the sunshine with hopes of reaching goals other than ''somewhat rewarding''...with the

PCIe[a potential[?] of 4.2g/s !]on PCIe 16[x2]...future's looking[?] bright. i might need sunglasses!

cheers amigos...

irrated, [but not of nature]

EDIT:

at a stage recently i tried using Gilisoft RAMDISK utility.

bringing in an 'HDD speed testing'  software, the 'measured', as in speed, was really ridiculous[fast!],

disconcerting almost...these speeds were in and around 1,500MB to ~ 2,000 + MB/s

...using 4gig of average level memory modules.

the RAMDISK was set up as a second OS partition[dual boot][with XP[OS] using prt or portions of the RAID0 array[ at the second partition of a dualboot] even though it used the memory as the hdd[am not absolutely sure really about the array and the second drive in the dual-boot but, i do know that there would have been part of the dual boot[RAID0 array disk] used in order for the secondary OS to be functioning].

apols for the poor wordings for the reasonings of the grasp of why the speeds were so outrageous.

it was pretty amazing that it even got set up at all never mind worked.

went over to gilisoft site to see if this raid array using their memory software was possible.

there was no mention of it.

i did wite to them. they didn't respond... [?]

XP[sp3]was the OS.

setting up the RAID0 array[& RAMDISK] was difficult but, something or someone[?] guided the hand on the keyboard and rolled the mind to make the necessary choices. the settings within creating the RAMDISK, alot of these were unknown but these still had to be chosen.

i think...and am certain enough though, that i was lucky with it, all of it in that it worked.

later on...

something abnormal[lol] about the feelings[''] experienced with overall operational speeds provided by this setup,

left me with almost 'wierd' in so many fleeting moments i had to stop using it.

it was very, very fast... :o

for the personal renditioningsjust above :( , apols.

it was pretty strange.

i set that RAMDISK build, the arrayed HDDs, aside.

it probably sounds a bit odd and bizare, this story but then, we as ppl, everyone...

are really just that...odd...

as only heaven knows  :)

EDIT II:

hmmm, have a look at the speeds of this 'RAMDISK'.. :(

https://www.amazon.c...AY26T578WQF6B8X

#4 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I just had a brainstorm....there are forums out there where extremist gamers hang out that try everything to increase their unit speed; most of them are concerned about FPS because they game online, but many also try to crank out every bit (no pun intended) out of their systems, and even run RAID 0. You may find what you are looking for there.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#5 irratedadjective

irratedadjective

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

related item to 'extreme gamers'.

https://www.opendemo...-responsibility

like many items newsbound that find themselves in the ''oh that's interesting' mental/emotional pocket[db] bin''

that get or are added to so many others...and then...left right there, serving no purpose, really except as 'interesting'

''connoisseuringly voyeuristic'' or what?