• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

In Explorer, Right click your "Cricket Captain C:\\" drive, click properties, then Security tab.

Click the Administrators header and take a screen shot and post it.

Following is mine; does yours have  the same permissions checked? In fact, why don't you take screen shots of all the headers with their permissions and we can compare it with ours.

I am investigating here, I really have no experience with this (as I have said already). I agree with the Doctor, this is interesting. I have never run across this before and would like to know what is causing this. :cowboy:

Attached File  Snap 2017-04-18 at 11.50.44.png   57.48KB   0 downloads

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#17 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

I've been reading this thread and I must also confess to being stumped (hence why I've not chipped in to date) BUT...

What's your AV? Could it be that this is blocking access?
Might be worth turning it off, try again to rename the drive, and then turn your AV back on again immediately afterwards.

Otherwise, I'm wondering whether there could still be a rootkit lurking around in there that is preventing access, or just changing it straight back after you do change it (see post 4 and 5).

Check the permissions suggested by Ranchhand as well though and post back your findings.

This one is weird - we are investigating and guessing a bit here but I agree that it's an interesting problem.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#18 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

here are the screen shots of all the headers.......... full permission just as urs...

Attached Files

#19 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

OK, so what is your AV? Has it recently undergone a program version update, or have you added new features to it?

On the Properties sheet (as you screenshotted above), click on the Advanced button and post a screenshot of what you see, especially with the Permissions tab highlighted (I'm resuming you'll see much the same as I do and I'm on Windows 10).

I'm trying to find out who the "owner" is of the drive.

If you could do us a favour and not reduce the size of your screenshot as well, that would help as sometimes the text can be reduced to being unreadable by virtue of lossy compression. The ones above are legible enough so please don't re-post them :)
  • JiGgErZzZz likes this

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#20 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

AV is comodo Antivirus........ recomended by Broni...........and here are the screen shots... 

Attached Files

#21 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

OK, TrustedInstaller, which is what it should be.

I've just Googled this some more, and it seems as though some have found that an autorun.inf file in the root folder has given rise to the same issue:
https://social.techn...=w7itproinstall
https://www.quora.co...-do-I-change-it

If you have that file, it'll be a hidden folder so you'll need to show hidden files and folders. Also, remove the "Hide extension for known file types" option to make sure you find the right file.

Then go into the root folder and delete that file as Administrator. If uncomfortable deleting it, then change it to autorun.inf.bak first and see if that gets you over the problem.

It's possible that your virus put it there and the removal procedure didn't get rid of it.

#22 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE i vote you president !!!!! Probelem is solved.... i found the autorun.inf......... deleted it.....simply renamed my dirve and it looks like this now... :D Awesomeeeee.... Thank you very much!!

Attached Files

#23 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Yaaaaaay!!!  We all like good news!

Thanks for getting back to us and persisting with this!

:2thumbsup:

• JiGgErZzZz likes this

#24 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

Good going, Angoid!!!! :1thumbsup:

• JiGgErZzZz likes this

#25 SpywareDr

SpywareDr

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Excellent news JiGgErZzZz, And detective work Angoid! Who would'a thunk it would be as something as simple as an \autorun.inf file on a fixed NTFS partition.

• JiGgErZzZz likes this

Doc

___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
\____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
\_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
\_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
\_______/

#26 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

It was definitely a weird one and I have to say, when I read that solution on those other places I thought it was going to be one of those waste-of-time things, but thought I'd give it a go before rummaging around for something truly obscure that would have got us nowhere.

But it worked, that's the important thing!

:2thumbsup:

• JiGgErZzZz likes this

#27 SpywareDr

SpywareDr

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

Couldn't agree more. :) 

• Angoid likes this

Doc

___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
\____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
\_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
\_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
\_______/

#28 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

Impresssssive, Angus! Well done!

• Angoid and JiGgErZzZz like this

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.