#1 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hello everyone,

I tried to find a standalone installer of Comodo firewall but as it turned out, they went the way of Adobe Flash Player by offering only an online installer. I did some research and read through the Comodo forums, and it seems that they don’t offer the standalone installer anymore.

I also saw arguments supporting the online installer, which are valid, but some of us still like to use the standalone version for one reason or the other, and it seems that Comodo has gained a lot in popularity to the point that they decide what is best for their users without offering them alternative options.

I have the Comodo standalone installer that was offered by them four years ago, which I can use at any time and then get the updates afterwards, but I am currently thinking about looking for another free firewall that can do the job.

I usually exercise safe computing (for the most part :D), so I don’t need anything heavy duty. Also, I found a few alternatives but I think that it is better to come here and ask about any personal favorites that someone used already or prefer; thanks.

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

I feel your pain; I had major issues with Comodo in the past. I was a huge fan until several years ago when Comodo attempted to be all things to everyone. Comodo started incorporating antivirus features into their firewall, insisted on installing their own web browser, and there were some others I can't remember right now. They also insisted on installing this "Geek Buddy" thing which I uninstalled afterwards. Comodo used to be very user-friendly, especially when I wanted to block outgoing sends from tattle-tale programs that liked to send packets back to their home. I don't like programs that do that without telling me what they are sending or asking my permission. Comodo "improved" their firewall so much that I could not used it easily, or at all anymore. Then, when I tried to delete the program, it broke my internet connection. For 2 weeks I tried to figure out what it was doing, I even posted on their forum, but then I found out others were having the same problem, and Comodo could not offer any solution. I ended up deleting Windows 7 and reinstalling, believe it or not.

Here are two free firewalls that I really like. They are both very effective, take little resources, and you can very easily block outgoing or incoming IP addresses.

Private Firewall (on my wife's computer):  https://www.privacyw...l_firewall.html

Zone Alarm (I am currently using): http://www.majorgeek...alarm_free.html

This next firewall I have never tried, but I have heard good things about it: Glasswire: https://www.glasswire.com/

Here is an easy to understand review I ran across:https://malwaretips....pression.44193/

Hope this helps.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

Thanks ranchhand,

I did have a similar problem with Comodo breaking my internet connection where I couldn’t go on the internet even in safe mode, and trying to uninstall it gave me some profile error that did not allow me to go with the uninstall process. I think that it’s time to move on and try something new; for me, I will try Private Firewall and see how it works. Thanks again.

#4 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the response....let us know how you like it.

#5 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

"...I had major issues with Comodo in the past. I was a huge fan until several years ago when Comodo attempted to be all things to everyone..."

Amen from another ex-user.

#6 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Just an update on the situation, I installed it on a few Windows 7 machines and I can see how lightweight and easy to use it is; it reminds me of ZoneAlarm when it first started and before it got bloated. The only thing that I noticed is that when it alerts me to some running process, is that it requires my input to allow or block, and that the block button has a countdown that starts from 30 seconds, which I can increase to 60 seconds max if I wanted to. I find this feature a bit annoying as I may not be looking at the computer while this is happening, but I think that if I enable all the processes and services detected by Private Firewall, then this will not become a major issue (I am speculating here). Thanks again for all your help ranchhand.

#7 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the follow-up!