• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bigray

bigray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

when I start my desktop up it only gives one bleep, been told there is a fault on my pc, as it should bleep twice, any sollutions

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

Hi bigray,

When you first power a computer on, you get 'bleep codes' that alert you to any problems that may exist.
They can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer so we can't really advise any more than that without knowing what PC you have.
So if you could advise the make and model of your PC, that would help as we can look up the appropriate bleep codes.

For example, mine bleeps just once and that's the signal that it's OK.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Actually, for most manufacturers a single beep is the default. Whoever gave you that information had it backwards; if you start getting multiple beeps on boot that indicates something is wrong, usually a hardware failure. When there is a problem, those beeps are in certain patterns, and if you look up that pattern for your motherboard's BIOS chip, it will give you a clue as to what is wrong.

All my computers, including my sons high-end Acer laptop, post only a single beep. I just built a new computer this week and the Asus BIOS posts only the single keyboard recognition beep. I work on old computers for people all the time, and all of them have only single keyboard recognition beeps. When one comes in and I hear multiple beeps when I attempt to boot it, I know there is a low-level hardware failure somewhere.

You are good to go.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#4 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

this link will tell you most everything you'll ever want to know.

#5 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

bigray - you don't say whether you're experiencing any problems once you've started it though.

You don't give any indication as to what the problem is aside from the beeps - what does the computer go on to do?

Ranchhand is right: usually one beep means everything is OK and if you've been getting two and now only one, it suggests an intermittent hardware fault.
It could be as simple as something has become unseated and needs pushing back into place.
Has it experienced a physical shock (such as being dropped or pushed onto its side) recently, especially just before the startup beep sequence changed?
Have you recently had the box open and put any new hardware in / taken anything out, including adding more memory?

Moon's link is a good one: take a look at that and see if you can recognise your beep code in there. Not knowing anything about your computer means we can't tell you much more than we already have.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#6 bigray

bigray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Many thanks for your replies, it always gave 2 double bleeps when starting up, now only one, but nothing has altered as far as I am aware, just wondered why it had altered, it was a generic desktop, ie no make.

#7 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

Well, we could try to dig a bit deeper into the system, but at this point your best bet is to look up the BIOS manufacturer name and version number, then go to their website and maybe they will post beep codes for that BIOS.

Please go Here and download Speccy system analyzer (free) and save to your computer's desktop. Install it.

Open Speccy. Give it a few seconds to scan your system.

Click File \Publish Snapshot.

In the next screen, click yes.

In the next screen, click Copy To Clipboard.

In your next post, paste that link in the post. Do not post the entire log, just the link provided.

BTW...no personal data is given, just system specs.

#8 bigray

bigray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

http://speccy.pirifo...erz3UuViOoQG5Q  hope  this helps & thanks for taking the time to help

#9 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

I can't see anything suspicious in your log, it is fine.

Your BIOS info:

Brand:
American Megatrends Inc.
Version: P1.20
Date: 27/08/2009

If you were running a KVM switch with two keyboards I can see that you might get a double beep, but you aren't.

The only reference I could find was at Bioscentral:

http://www.bioscentr...des/amibeep.htm
1 beep means POST has tested successful.
2 short beeps means bad memory.

You were formerly getting two beeps but your computer was running properly, so obviously it did not mean your memory is bad. At this point all indicators are that your unit is functioning properly, so I don't think you have any worries.

Beep codes are not entirely dependable; I have had a BIOS give beep codes that were proper, and it gave beep signals that had nothing to do with what was preventing the computer from POSTing. If you know how to enter your BIOS screen and check the settings you can do that, but to be honest my opinion is that the old proverb, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies here.

If you like we can step through several test procedures for individual components if you want to take the time and effort, but I don't think it will turn up anything.

Sorry, but I just can't find anything wrong. Be sure to post back if you begin to have problems!

#10 bigray

bigray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

thanks for looking into this for me.