5 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

At the MicrosoftEDU Event held today in New York, Microsoft announced Windows 10 S, a version of the Windows 10 operating system that is restricted to running only Windows Store apps.

Presenting Windows 10 S to the attendee crowd, Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of the Windows and Devices Group, said Windows 10 S would be focused on security, speed of operation, and a longer battery life.

https://www.bleeping...gles-chrome-os/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

My predictions appear to be coming true with more of the OS being farmed out to the Cloud.
The article goes on to say that there is an option in the Windows 10 Creators Update to enable "Allow apps from the Store only."

On the one hand it is good for security, but what about when the core product gets breached and you cannot install a specific third party tool to clean it up? Or a malicious app sneaks past and into the store?
If it's happened to others, it's almost certain to happen here. That's not cynicism - it's very realisticism (is that a word?).

Older article:
https://www.howtogee...t-desktop-apps/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Maybe it's my age, but for some reason I am losing interest in IT. Increasingly, options are being taken out of users' hands and put in big business' setups. It's their way or the highway. Windows 8 is probably the last, true, standalone operating system M/Soft produces, and there is no way in hell I am going to become one of the mindless, faceless masses paying regular rental money in Microsoft's foggy, clouded database.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

Linux provides a good experience, and it allows you to take control of what you're doing to a greater degree.

Big Business works that way: by taking control away from the users and transferring it to said businesses. The Cloud (i.e. someone else's computer) is how it's done.
I've heard borrowing money described as "transferring your wealth" to the lender and it is: you borrow that money at a rate of interest, and you pay back far more than you ever borrow.
It's the same sort of idea here: you transfer your digital wealth to a Big Company whenever you store information in their cloud.

Information is money. Big money.
  • ranchhand likes this

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

I am with you on those thoughts. I definitely am going to try LInux, probably start with Mint to get my feet wet.  Right now that seems the way to go. I will keep Windows 7 active as long as possible, then make the total-commitment jump.

Your statement on borrowing is right on; the wise understand this and don't fall into the trap of "get it now, pay later". This has been true for man's history going back thousands of years. For example: : "The rich one rules the poor,
                                                                 And the borrower is a slave to the lender."

Proverbs 22:7, written approximately 700BC. People knew the dangers of moneylenders even then.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#6 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

Yep - a .LOT. of wisdom is contained in that book :)

At home, I've got Windows 10 (both 32 and 64-bit) and also two Linux OSs (all on the same box):
Ubuntu - (with the Unity UI - be advised that Ubuntu will be moving away from Unity but not sure of when)
Zorin OS - this is quite nice for people coming over from Windows
I've set up two more partitions and when I get the time I'm going to put down Mint MATE on one and Mint Cinnamon on the other and test-drive them.

I set up /home on its own partition so I can common them up, so all Linux distros can see the same home drive.

Windows 10 (64-bit) is my main OS, but the others do get some use. Only thing with rocking so many operating systems is that it takes time when you want to update them all.

But do get used to the command line: obviously Linux commands are different from Windows ones, but it's still not that difficult to get the hang of.

Time. A commodity I don't have a great deal of at the mo.