Photo

Are These Programs Redundant and Deletable?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Can I delete the redundant programs with the older dates?

redundant%20programs_.png

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

This is something that seems to happen quite a lot.
Different applications may require different versions of the Visual C++ redistributable, so removing one could break something.

Take a look here:
https://answers.micr...b4-128a2bfad0a3

and here:
https://www.howtogee...alled-on-my-pc/

General consensus: No, don't remove them. You could break something.

Although I'll admit you do have rather a lot of 'em ...

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Angus :1thumbsup:

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

You're welcome :)

The problem comes because you have no way of knowing what application put down which version of the redistributables. Therefore, removing one might seem OK in the here and now, but when you run one of those programs you only use every now and again (in a month's time for example) you may find that it suddenly no longer works and you won't know why.
It'll seem somewhat abstract to tie it to when you removed what you thought was redundant software.

As a general rule of thumb, only remove software you know you installed yourself. Remove the program you actually installed, not its components (unless the uninstaller tells you to).

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.