14 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

I am working on this Pavilion desktop that is running Win 10 64 bit with 8 gb ram. It has a new 450 w p/supply from New Egg.  When it powers up in the morning all is well.  I you shut it down by pushing the power button and an hour later come back to turn it on, the power light turns blue and the monitor briefly powers up but then shows no video signal and shuts down. I have installed an external video card since it did this with the onboard video as well.  If you just put it asleep, it wakes up fine.  I don't hear a post beep so I don't think it is fully booting.  Is it possible to have a bad power switch?

Thanks for any help!

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

Hello Geno,

You said:

.  I you shut it down by pushing the power button and an hour later come back to turn it on

Have you been turning the unit off directly by using the power button instead of using the Start button to access the shut down command?

I must go to a meeting right now, but I will check in tomorrow AM.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

You can configure what the power button does in Windows 10, so it could be the setting there:
https://www.itsuppor...button-pressed/

Check that and see what it's set to do.

It could be, for example, that it's set to Sleep (as opposed to Hibernate) which draws a little bit of power. If you then proceed to turn it off at the mains, that will cut all power. You then come back an hour later and turn back on at the mains and then hit the computer's power button and that might bork Windows.

You say you're "working on" that computer thus suggesting that it's not your own box? So it may not be configured the same way that you would set yours up.

For the differences between Sleep and Hibernate, take a look at this article here:
https://www.howtogee...ate-in-windows/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#4 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the replies...Ranchhand, Yes the power button is usually a quicker way to shut down don't you think?

Angoid, it is not my machine but a family member..I will double check the power options and get back with you both...

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

So, is the computer booting into Windows from shut down, or not?

Using the power button to shut down the computer is generically termed a "hard shutdown" (there are other designations also) and should only be used in an emergency, such as when the system freezes and will not respond to anything, or similar events. Why? Because Windows, especially vs 10, runs system files constantly (behind the scenes) that monitor the system and provide services necessary for Windows to function. You can view some of these services that are running by entering Task Manager and clicking the Processes tab, and the Services tab. When  these are suddenly forced to terminate, they may be in the middle of a calculation or process and they can corrupt and cause various problems with Windows, from not booting to some programs not working. Using the Start / Power Down command enables Windows to go through a proper close down procedure and shut down processes before automatically killing the power to the mainboard.

Your problem may or may not be caused by improper shutdown procedures, or it may be something else. To start, disable any and all Sleep or Hibernate modes as well as any screen saver modes for the monitor, just to check. If your computer still gives you problems then at least we have eliminated that as a possibility.

You said:

I have installed an external video card

Do you mean that you installed a video card inside the box using one of the PCIe slots on the motherboard, or is the card in some kind of adapter literally outside the box with a USB connection or some such thing?

Try a system reset to get everything back to square one;

> Power down (use the Start icon/Power Down command)

> Unplug the power cord from the power supply on the rear of the computer

> Press the power switch for 5 seconds (to empty the capacitors on the motherboard)

> Open the side of the case, and remove the silver CMOS battery on the mainboard. Wait 5 minutes, then snap it back in again; note the polarity and do not reinstall it backwards or the computer will do some really weird things on startup.

> Plug in the power cord to the rear of the computer, and power up.

See if that helps.

#6 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

Very good info...did not realize about the processes running in background..I will do the reset

I installed an interior card in a PCI slot thinking  that might be the problem with no display signal.

so, on a laptop, it is not advisable to used the power button as well?

Thanks again for your help!

#7 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

Correct, the same principle applies to laptops as well.

I assume from your comment that your computer has integrated video on the mainboard that you have been using normally; I suggest removing the video card for now just so that we can get things back to original when you started having problems.

> Again, is your computer booting into Windows, or do you get only a black screen with no BIOS beep when you power up?

> When did this happen, was is immediately after updating to Windows 10 or did it suddenly just start not booting? I this the reason you replaced the power supply?

#8 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

The computer does have integrated video.  When it started this problem (not booting at all after a power button turn off) I decided to try a video card I had to troubleshoot and obviously it was not the problem.  I have not removed it yet but I will. I have been powering it down, unpluging the cord, holding power button down for 30 seconds, then trying boot again...after about 6 times and after I wait about 15 extra minutes it boots just fine. I put it in sleep mode using the orb and it wakes up just fine. I replaced her PS a month ago because the fan was noisy. I am hoping this error of using the switch to power down is the cause of the no boot.

#9 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

It sounds as if something is in the process of failing; my method is to eliminate the components 1x1 until we find the problem.

Let's test your front panel power switch first.

Power your unit down.  Leave it plugged in.  Pop off the side of your computer, and trace the small cable running from your front panel power switch to where it plugs into the tiny socket on the mainboard.  Gently pull that plug off, revealing two contacts.  Take a flat-bladed screwdriver, and short the two contacts.  Your computer should immediately power up and start to boot.  If it does not, your power switch is bad.

Sometimes, in these retail units like HP, it can be a pain to find the correct cable that is the power switch cable. Sometimes the mainboard has the contact labeled, something like "PWR" or "PWR SW" or some such. Other times you must open the front panel to find the cable that runs from the switch and trace it back to where is plugs into the mainboard. It can be a pain. Rarely is this kind of information provided in the users' manual.

#10 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thanks again for the help.

I am going to her house this afternoon and see if the correct power down will boot correctly...if not I will check the switch test.  I went to ebay and searched for a switch just in case and nobody had one listed....

#11 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Might find a replacement switch here:

http://www.ebay.ie/s...r button&_sop=1

#12 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thx

#13 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Found a switch and replaced it...all is well...Thanks for the help!

#14 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

Good going guys.

#15 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

Attached File  2thumbsup.gif   1.66KB   1 downloads