Photo

Windows wont install Samsung MTP driver

Best Answer kiddyhub , 09 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

I got this problem "WIndows won't not install Samsung MTP Driver " after I upate the new KIES software. Here how you solve it :

1) Connect your phone to the PC.

2) Go to the "USB PC Connection" by swiping from the top menu down to access it. 

3) Change the MTP to PTP setting and let the driver install.

4) Then change back to MTP again. The driver will recognise and being installed.

5) And you good to go.

See pictures how to set the menu :

Samsung USB PC connection 2
Samsung USB PC Connection 1
Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hi

I am having trouble getting my Samsung S3 picked up by windows. I have tried uninstalling the drivers as well. However the MTP drivers fail to install. Even when updtaing windows it still wont install and gives an error.

what could be the problem. It was working fine some time back but suddenly started giving problems.

thanks

#2 Mark

Mark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 656 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

The web is loaded with info on this problem.. let's try and narrow it down for you:

Is your PC running Win 7 x64?

Has your antivirus removed any files recently that may also be associated with the Samsung MTP drivers?

#3 Mark

Mark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 656 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Of all the answers I've found, this one seems to have the highest success rate:

http://www.khattam.i...2012-09-16.html

#4 Patti

Patti

• Moderators
  • 160 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

As Mark mentioned, there are numerous potential solutions to that problem, with varying degrees of success, posted on the web. Here is another, just in case the solution that Mark linked to doesn't prove to be successful for you.

#5 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

The web is loaded with info on this problem.. let's try and narrow it down for you:

Is your PC running Win 7 x64?

Has your antivirus removed any files recently that may also be associated with the Samsung MTP drivers?

Yup using x64

And nope anti virus did not remove any files recently. Thanks for the links ill def go through these

#6 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

As Mark mentioned, there are numerous potential solutions to that problem, with varying degrees of success, posted on the web. Here is another, just in case the solution that Mark linked to doesn't prove to be successful for you.

i tried this. Didnt work. Also tried marks link that didnt work either :(

#7 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Tried narrowing it down...

Device Manager >> Other devices >> MTP >>  Update drivers >> Browse computer for drivers >> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my comp >> Samsung Android Phone >> Samsung Mobile MTP Device and this is what i get attaching a screen shot

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTP.jpg   58.94KB   14 downloads

#8 Mark

Mark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 656 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Is there an error in Device manager as Patti's link showed?

Have you tried updating the USB driver? Download the Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver and update.

#9 Mark

Mark

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 656 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Others are reporting that they did a factory reset on the phone and it worked, but you probably don't wish to do that if you can help it.

#10 Patti

Patti

• Moderators
  • 160 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

This thread, Galaxy s3 mtp device failure, contains some potential fixes, inc. the factory reset. As before, varying degrees of success.

#11 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Others are reporting that they did a factory reset on the phone and it worked, but you probably don't wish to do that if you can help it.

i guess that would be the last thing i will do.... so far been trying different forum's Patti's links as well....updated the drivers same old :P MTP fails to install.... Ill try Patti's link now and if that dont work i guess yup factory reset.

#12 JiGgErZzZz

JiGgErZzZz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPakistan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Bloody factory reset didnt work either grrrrr.... guess ill givr up on this

#13 Interceptor

Interceptor

Valued Member - SAF Founding Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNorthern NY State

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I have an S2 and an S3 as well and I've been down this road. Too much of a pain to fight it. Do what I do....have a really large capacity micro SD card and use that to transfer stuff back and forth. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

My next phone is going to be a Windows phone. Droid blows. :angry:

#14 yeehaw

yeehaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Solution for me came from: http://answers.micro...bb-63c7ed9a79f9

If your Samsung device has any device administrators with SD card control, it will prevent install of the MTP driver.  For me, both Kies and Email (for corporate email account) had admin privileges.  Once I disabled these the driver installed normally.

Steps:

1) On your phone, go to Security -> Device administration->Device adminstrators

2) Check if there are any app have admin privilege, you have deactivate them to gain MTP access.

Please remember if the applicaiton is like an email or something, then you will lose all data when you revoke admin privilege

Hope this helps!

#15 VsUK

VsUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

OK, I thought I would fill you in should anyone still be having issue's about this. Connect your phone, swipe ur top menu down & tap USB PC connection settings, switch from MTP to PTP. Let driver's install & they should. Now, go to the safely remove & eject media & eject your GT-I9300, when it says its safe to remove. Just switch your PTP back to MTP & it should connect fine. The problems caused by just unplugging your phone without using the eject option.