3 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Today at the company's Inspire business conference, Microsoft announced a new service called "Microsoft 365" that bundles together three of its previous standalone services: Office 365, Windows 10, and Enterprise Mobility + Security.

According to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, this new offering was created with businesses in mind and aims to reduce the overhead of having to buy and integrate an operating system with office and device management apps from different vendors.

The new Microsoft 365 service is Microsoft's biggest step towards offering the Windows OS as a monthly subscription service, moving away from one-time purchases.

Microsoft has previously offered Windows 10 as a subscription purchase before, but only for Windows 10 Enterprise versions. Today's announcement provides more options and is a firmer step in the direction of changing Windows' default commercial licensing model.

Source:
https://www.bleeping...ft-365-service/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

The new Microsoft 365 service is Microsoft's biggest step towards offering the Windows OS as a monthly subscription service, moving away from one-time purchases.

Well, at least we didn't talk about this two years ago.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, I guess there isn't much to add that hasn't been said already in this forum. Once M/Soft has the businesses of the world subscribing to their OS there isn't much stopping them from going in any direction they choose, Including governmental control. Rather like a drug addict who is at the mercy of the pusher; don't cross him or he doesn't get his next update "fix".

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

I for one have no plans to get sucked into having to pay for it on a month-by-month basis.
Sure, the worker is worthy of his keep and one should pay for Windows but I'd personally rather pay once off and have done with it.
I totally get that subscription models produce a more steady and stable revenue stream but it also locks consumers in.
Another problem with any subscription service is that should you suffer a financial reverse, you may have to stop that subscription. Now if your computer is running on a subscription model or your cloud-based data is only accessible if you pay your subs, you could lose access.

With Windows, I'm still not sure how many people understand that when you "buy Windows" (either as a retail package or OEM version) you do not buy a copy of the software: rather, you purchase a licence to use it.

I wonder if there is such a word as "hexaboot" meaning to be able to boot 6 operating systems (Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 10 32-bit, Ubuntu, Zorin OS, Linux Mint MATE, Linux Mint Cinnamon)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microsoft, office, subscriptions