• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

I just ran across this....what a great prank, but I would give the victim an hour to calm down before talking to him! 

https://www.wimp.com...-to-the-brakes/

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#2 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

I don’t think that it’s a good thing to do in rush hour traffic; imagine all the dirty looks and the beating that this poor soul would get from the other drivers. :D :D

#3 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Rush hour

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#4 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

That’s why I love the movies; great artwork, Angoid. :D

#5 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

I didn't create that myself ... someone linked it to me some time ago.

It is a great piece of work though, isn't it?

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#6 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

It is the stuff that dreams are made of; I will keep this image in my mind to help me through the daily agony that is called traffic. :D

#7 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

...the daily agony that is called traffic..

Don't get me started.  You can't go anywhere around here any more without getting stuck at least once.

You routinely have to allow 3 hours for a 1-hour drive.

And please, whatever you do, don't get me started on so-called "smart motorways"  :blink:  :confused:  :blink: 

#8 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

This system seems a bit confusing and from what I've read so far it looks like some people don't like it, especially with the introduction of the variable speed cameras:

#9 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

Yes, what happens is that the hard shoulder is normally for emergency use only but the idea of smart motorways is that it can be opened up as a normal driving lane in the event of heavy traffic / congestion to give an extra driving lane to make the motoway flow normally.

Trouble is, they don't usually open the hard shoulder up when the traffic is heavy, or electronic signage tells you that you can only use the hard shoulder if you're leaving at the next exit.  This results in chopping and changing between the normal driving lane and the hard shoulder as it's open / not open / open / not open etc.

There are other sections which are not smart motorways as such, but which carry variable speed limits.  Electronic signage on overhead gantries, as per the picture in the article you linked, tells drivers what the speed limit is.  If it has a red ring around it, as do those 50s, then it's an official speed limit and not a suggestion.  There may be cameras mounted the other side of the gantries to nab speeders.

One problem with this - and I've seen this happen - is that there is a speed limit posted on the gantry of (say) 50mph.  Then, just as you drive under it, it suddenly changes to 40.  Now essentially it's a 40mph stretch until the next sign or end of the variable speed limit stretch.  So for you, it's a 40mph limit but for drivers who went through only a couple of seconds before you, it's a 50mph limit.  Hopefully the cameras are time-lagged to not do drivers who legitimately believe it's a 50mph stretch.

But you can see the problem here - it could have been the other way round: you approach the gantry and it changes from 40 to 50 but there are folk who have just gone through and who believe it's a 40 zone.

We've had variable speed limits, enforced by cameras, for a number of years now.

I've often seen 50mph, a few times 60mph (the national speed limit is 70mph on motorways), 40mph is very common and once I've seen 30mph.  Never have I seen 20mph on a motorway.  That's nigh on impossible to adhere to on roads designed for faster driving.

Another problem of not having a hard shoulder (as such) is that you have nowhere to go in the event of a breakdown.  With traffic hurtling up at 50 or 60mph, you really would be a sitting duck .... until someone in the operation control room spots the breakdown on camera and close the hard shoulder.

To everyone that is, except the selfish, dangerous and idiotic BMW and Audi drivers who think that the rules of the road never apply to them.  Those same drivers seem to think that speed limits are minimum speed limits.  Either that or the maximum following distance from the vehicle in front, in Angstroms.  These people should be taken off the roads permanently.

#10 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

Based on what you said it doesn't look like a very efficient system; here in New Jersey the shoulder is strictly for emergencies only, with the exception of some roads where the buses running to New York get to use said shoulder during rush hour traffic. If you try to drive on a shoulder and get pulled over by the police, that's an automatic four points penalty that will cost you a lot of money and aggravation to get rid of, otherwise your car insurance would go through the roof.

The idea of smart motorways seems ideal on papers and I think that it saves the government a lot of money as it looks like a viable alternative for building new roads or widening the existing ones, but it doesn't take into account the human factor where a lot of people are driving cars but not so many drive them wisely. Some people think that they own the road and not just share it with others, and those are the ones that you need to worry about when you implement a driving system that requires common sense.

I am not sure about England, but here in America cars are a way of life and a necessity at the same time due to the size of the country, and that is why a lot of people can drive a car without taking into account that this is a dangerous machine that needs to be handled with care. But in England I think that cars should not be available to everyone due to the relatively small size of the country and ease of public transportation; I could be wrong but I lived in Holland for two years and cars were not that much of a problem there, so I am guessing that the same should apply to England.

#11 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

Cars are a way of life here as well.  That said:

1) The public transport infrastructure is very good in large cities such as London, but not so good (or even non-existent) in the towns and villages.  In London, you could pretty much get by without a car until you need to go very far outside of the M25 area.

2) Although this is a small island, the distance between towns and cities is still quite large.  My home city (Norwich) is about 120 miles from London, and travelling time by car is around 2 to 2.5 hours depending on traffic conditions, etc.  Where I currently live is also about 2 hours drive from London.

3) Trains are hideously expensive, by and large.  It is usually cheaper to go by coach than it is to go by train.  That said, you can sometimes get deals if you're prepared to travel at obscure times of the day.

4) I know from previous trips to the USA that even short distances are often not designed to be walked.  You'd have to get your car out to go a distance of 1/2 mile, sometimes less because there simply is not a pavement (sidewalk) to use so you'd be exposed to traffic.  Here, the road layouts are typically more pedestrian-friendly and there is more of a walking culture for shorter distances.

It always used to be that the hard shoulder of motorways is for emergency stopping only, but smart motorways bork that when the hard shoulder is opened up as a normal driving lane.

Speed cameras, speed bumps and the like are a necessary evil on the roads these days because so many people drive like they own the roads and everyone else has to defer to them.  It's a pity when common sense fails to prevail and the government has to step in to punish it.

I just wish it was easier to nail tailgaters down.  And I mean nail them hard.  Even to the point of impounding their cars and prosecuting them for their murderous driving.

#12 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

Interesting.  Your comments could apply to any major city in the USA.

A few years ago I took a road trip with my family through the Northwest; I wanted to show them the areas that I grew up in. As we entered Wyoming, I left the interstate and set out on a state road (two lane) that ran through the middle of the state. A car was approaching from the opposite direction, and I asked my son to set his watch as the car passed, in order to time how long before the next car would pass us. I was doing 60 MPH and the road was straight as an arrow. Fifteen (15) minutes passed by and he was freaking. Finally a car appeared in the distance, and in two more minutes if passed us. He was awed, having grown up in Chicago area with dense traffic. He didn't realize there were so many remote areas yet in the country. Unfortunately, these areas are disappearing as cities grow and sprawl out, and everybody wants a car.

re: tailgating.  Angus, I am SO with you on that subject!  Everyone here from motorcycles to huge trucks pulling three (3) trailers tailgate. I look in my rear view mirror and all I see is a chrome grill with an image of a Bulldog (Mac Corporation's logo). All I can do is increase my following distance to the car in front and if something happens I will have enough time to brake SLOWLY, giving the idiot behind me enough time for the oxygen to get to his brain and get his foot on his brake pedal. Hopefully.

I honestly think that 30% of the accidents in this country could disappear overnight if drivers would maintain their following distance.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#13 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

I've driven along straight roads in Florida where it just seems to stretch on for miles without a bend, but can't say it was as quiet as seeing an approaching vehicle and not having it pass you for two whole minutes!  However, I do remember coming round one corner and seeing a flashing amber light warning of a junction in the distance and noting the distance until I got there: four miles.

Our roads tend to be more twistier and turnier than that but this doesn't mean that they're all like that.

Another thing we're seeing is a lot of 50mph limits being imposed on roads that really do not need them.  The thing with speed limits is this: the general opinion amongst local government types (who are responsible for setting local speed limits) is that lower speed limits mean slower driving, resulting in greater road safety.  Right?

Not necessarily.  The problem is that the road might be designed for 60mph.  This means that adhering to a lower speed limit can actually be quite tricky and your attention is focused on your speedometer more than the road ahead.  Then you'll inevitably get someone come up behind who has no regard for anyone but Number One who will try to bully you into going faster or otherwise overtake you on a corner due to their impatience and then cut right in so they don't have an argument with the lorry they didn't see coming the other way.  After cutting in, they then realise that they need to turn off so they then ram their anchors on to stop dead right in front of you.

In built-up areas, we are also seeing the introduction of many 20mph zones where the limit used to be 30mph.  That speed is very tricky to adhere to.  Modern cars are just not built for that.

I am not, and have never been, a "pedal to the metal" driver but I do believe in sensible driving speeds: you can drive too slow just as easily as you can drive too fast.  The person doing 40mph on the motorway when everyone else is doing 70mph is just as much a hazard as someone doing a ton.

Bob, that's exactly what I do with tailgaters as well.  Certainly I'll never speed up to accommodate them - you need MORE stopping distance, not less.

Edit: A quick bit of Googling has turned up this article here:

http://www.sehinc.co...lained-engineer

Makes for an interesting read.  It strikes me as though the author knows what he is talking about.

#14 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

Had a friend who was a Texas Highway Patrolman years and years ago.  He patrolled West Texas which, especially at that time was empty wide open spaces.  He swore he would be driving along and not see another car for 30 minutes and all of a sudden he would come up on 6-8 cars, bumper to bumper, doing 80 mph.

And in truth, driving those same areas, cars do tend to group together instead of staying apart.

#15 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

That will probably be because the one in the lead is going er so slightly slower than the ones coming up behind want to travel at.

If they don't feel confident overtaking (or just don't want to) then they'll just follow closely behind.

One thing I often see is a driver coming up behind me who gets just a bit too close, and then he'll pull back.  Then come slightly too close again, and pull back again.

Where that happens, I suspect my driving speed is slightly lower than he wants to go at and he's just finding it difficult to drive at a slightly lower speed, thus this behaviour.  Either that, or he's getting into the overtaking position and realises that he won't be able to overtake, so pulls back to a safe followiong distance before making another attempt.

This is not the aggressive tailgating I was referring to earlier, where some idiot gets right up your backside and tries to bully you into going faster or push you out of his way.