17 replies to this topic

#16 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Kenneth said:

cars do tend to group together instead of staying apart.

Yes, I have noticed that also. I try (emphasis on "try") to position myself between those "wolf packs" and match speed. I can actually go for up to 1/2 hour before one of them catches up to me if traffic isn't too heavy. That does not apply in cities, of course. 

The unspoken "agreement" with the state police in the USA is that you can safely go 5MPH over the limit without getting pulled over. Lately I notice that drivers are going 10-15MPH over the limit. There just are not enough police to cover all the territory, but now some states are posting cameras on the major interstates that will take pics over a certain speed. I noticed that the last time I drove through Ohio on I-90. I don't like cameras, but these drivers are going crazy so I don't feel like I can complain about it.

Now there is a new wrinkle in the problem: insane motorcyclists.   I just got back from driving on I-80 to another city. Twice I was moving at 70MPH in heavy traffic, and a crotch-rocket blew past me like I was standing still; he had to be doing 85 at least. He swerved, dodged and squeezed into spaces between moving cars like a video game. In 10 seconds he was out of sight.  I try to check my rearview mirror at least once every minute, but this guy came so fast I didn't see him coming up behind me and scared me half to death. He went past me so fast that the sound of his engine was like an explosion. The second incident occurred on the return trip, this time it was a Harley Davidson and the guy was wearing colors.

The western states with the wide-open highways and light traffic density are a lot nicer to drive.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#17 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

Crotch-rocket!  Love it!  Yep, we get those as well.  We have this Government "Think Bike" campaign to educate drivers about being careful towards motorcyclists, but really it should be "Think Bike in case the Rider Doesn't" as many (not all, but enough to make it look like most) motorcyclists ride like absolute maniacs.  Very often they zoom up from behind - you checked your rear-view mirror 1 second ago and then the next instant, the bike is zooming past at twice the speed limit.  Often to disappear around the upcoming corner.

I've seen them pull wheelies on a two-way road and go the wrong side of a traffic island, only to pull in hard afterwards so as not to have an argument with the lorry coming in he other direction.  Think Bike in case the Rider Doesn't.

Over here, there is an unwritten rule of thumb that the police won't touch you if you're doing less than (10% + 2mph) over the limit.  This means that in a 30mph zone, you'll be fine if you're doing 35mph or under.  On the motorway in a car (70mph) you'll be fine under 80mph.  It is unwritten though - a police officer would be well within his rights to pull you over for doing 33mph in a 30mph zone, but if that happens then either he's having a bad day or you are.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#18 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

I seem to have missed this thread for a while, but here is my two cents on the issue of reckless driving. Here in America cars are big business (sales, insurance, traffic tickets), so the focus is more on quantity than quality when it comes to driving. When I was in Holland, a friend of mine applied for a driver’s license and was rejected simply because when he was exiting the car, he opened the door with his left hand instead of the right one, which would have forced him to look behind before opening the door. Contrast that to when I got my driver’s license here in America, where I went to tell someone I worked with about it, and he looked at me and said “now you have a license to kill.” Good times. :D :D

ranchhand, I like your strategy with the “wolf packs;” I call it “bubble driving,” where there is a large distance between me and those ahead and behind. Sometimes I am lucky to be driving in such a bubble, but unfortunately that is not always the case.