Photo

Has "App" Come To Mean Only "Phone App"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

Has the term "app" lost its general meaning of "application" for any computer and come to mean only "phone application"?

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

As I perceive it, the term "application" has reference to a software program for a computer. The term "app" has taken on a modern meaning unto itself, being a small program that can be downloaded and runs only on cell phones or pads that does various things. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

Don't know why I didn't look it up first:shootmyself.gif

APP.png

#4 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

Weird, I always associated APP to mean application....dah!!  

#5 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Yep, "app" is short for "application" but I have a mental differentiation as to when I'd use "app" over "application" and follows:

1) If it's for a phone / phablet / tablet, then I'll typically call it an "app"

2) If it's a small utility application to do a specific task on any device (including desktop / laptop computers) then I'd probably refer to it as an app

3) If it's a full software package (such as a game, word processing application, spreadsheet, flight simulator, etc, etc) then I'd probably use the full word "application."

This is just a mental distinction that I use for my own ends, and *not* an industry standard or definition provided by bodies such as the IEEE, CompTIA and so on.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#6 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

I’ve seen the word “apps” used in a TV commercial once, and it referred to appetizers.