17 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'm unable to access Mouse settings via Control Panel.

Control Panel > Mouse . . and this message appears:

mouse.png

If I hit OK this comes up:

hang%20on%20ok.png

and it hangs and I have to shut in down via Task Manager.

If I hit Cancel this comes up:

cannot%20be%20found.png

and I hit OK and this comes up

prepping%20to%20install.png

and it hangs and has to be stopped in Task Manager

If I select "Use source:" > OK this comes up:

path.png

Any suggestions?

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have my Windows 10 version installed since I built my new computer, but have you tried a system restore from a restore date immediately before this started?

If no joy, try a search on the entire C:\\ drive from Explore for mkc.msi. If you do find it, note the installation path and go there to access the file. Try to double-click on it to see if it will launch from there.

If still no joy, try downloading it and install. Link Here. Before you install it, I suggest that you check Remove Programs, and if you see Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, uninstall it first so there is no conflict with installations. 

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Hi ranchhd ~

mkc.msi was nowhere to be found, so I just downloaded/installed the latest Mouse and Keyboard Center (after removing the old version) and all's in order now.

Thanks!

#4 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

Well, how about this! I fired up the computer this morning and it happened all over again :confused:

mkc.msi was nowhere to be found . . . and now that I've uninstalled/reinstalled again, mkc.msi still doesn't exist anywhere :angry:

I've googled "download mkc.msi", but all I get is links to Microsoft's mkc page to download the same mouse/keyboard program I downloaded yesterday.

I'm baffled :(

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Ok...something is removing it. Check your antivirus and firewall logs to see if your AV is the culprit. Some AV programs are configured not to inform you when something is removed, so check your settings. Other than that, I will have to do some investigating.

#6 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

OK, ranchhand, I'll look into firewall logs and MBam logs.

But now I'm getting ready for a solar eclipse odyssey :cool2: , so I won't be able to get back to this til tomorrow!

#7 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Right on! I have our patio umbrella up, the Weber grill is all set for steaks, corn on the cob, and other goodies!  Yahoo! I would be tempted to drive to Carbondale, but I am sure the interstate is going to be jammed with traffic, and I don't want to experience that, not even for a total eclipse viewing.

Have a great day!Attached File  w00t.gif   650bytes   0 downloads

#8 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

<<our patio umbrella up, the Weber grill is all set for steaks, corn on the cob, and other goodies!>>

What's your address, I'll be there ASAP :P

#9 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

It's been on our news here .... seems as though the entire US population descended on the small town of Madras, Oregon.

Of course, I'd never heard of Madreas OR before this :)

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#10 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

I've just tried to research how to see Firewall Logs, but no joy.

However, Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings > Monitoring > Firewall brings up this:

firewall%20log%20maybe.png

Is that the Firewall Log?

#11 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

Beau, see the attached.

Attached Files

#12 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

Hello Beau,

I've used a freebie called x-mouse button control, v2.14 for years and since XP days.  Give more control for setting mouse buttons.  I wonder if you could install it and it would give you more control than the one you keep losing?

#13 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hi rob ~

Thanks for the x-mouse button ref, I've downloaded/installed it.

It seems a bit on the non-intuitive side to me, but I've only given it 10 minutes . . also can't find any good youtube video tutorials.

It appears to me that mouse settings are relative to specific programs when their window is active, but what I need is two specific universal mouse settings, and I haven't been able to figure that out with x-mouse.

I'll give it some more tests and hopefully I'll get it fired up.

#14 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

rob ~

Another example of bad software.

X-mouse screwed up mouse functioning, disabling certain click functions, and if I hadn't created a system restore point before installing I have no idea how I could have rectified the problem, but I do know that it very possibly might have taken me hours to fix it.

I recommend that you cease recommending X-mouse.

#15 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yes, that is the Windows Firewall, and following is the link to more information on it; but....I don't think that is the problem. Make sure your antivirus program is not targeting that file.

Windows Firewall: https://www.howtogee...s-firewall-log/

When you go into the Remove Programs folder in Explore, is the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center listed there?

When you access All Programs (or the W-10 equivalent) from the start button, is it listed there?

Enter Explore and see if it is listed under Program Files and Program Files (x86)

If you have any other drives installed or any flash drives in the USB ports, check that it did not install itself on those.

In this forum, one person solved his problem, but it wasn't exactly like yours; dial down to post #8

https://www.eightfor...ed-working.html