20 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

In recent weeks Firefox has been impossibly slow, so I installed the latest, 55.0.3 64-bit, and the same problems persist:

• typing text anywhere — in email, in the address window, in this forum posting — frequently (but not always) is so slow it takes up to ten seconds for the typed letters to appear

• dragging objects within a web page is herky-jerky and slow, e.g. dragged words at kwunk.com/170906-bf (dragging is perfectly smooth and fast in IE, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi)\

• dragging the Firefox window around is also herky-jerky and sometimes so slow that it takes several seconds for the dragging to be effected . . other times it's perfectly normal

All of these things will occur within a period of time, usually several minutes, the all of a sudden everything will be back to normal. Weird :confused:

I thought that installing the latest version would fix things, but no luck.

I've tried to find info on this problem at http://forums.mozillazine.org/, but I could only find comments from several years ago.

Anybody else have this problem?

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

Hi Beau,

I've never found Firefox to be the fastest of browsers.

Have you tried launching it in Safe Mode?
https://support.mozi...tslug=Safe Mode

That might help you get to the bottom of it.

There are a number of tweaks you can use to alter the amount of memory it uses, cache size and so on but personally I've never found them to make much of a difference. That said, some of them might be worth a try:

Pipelining:
https://support.mozi...estions/1157085

Uses too much memory:
https://support.mozi...much-memory-ram

Uses too much CPU:
https://support.mozi...sources-how-fix

As a last resort, it might be worth ripping it out entirely, rebooting and reinstalling it.
Export your bookmarks first and reimport them afterwards.
This will get rid of any remnants of add-ons that you may have installed and removed and will also clear your add-ons anyway and give you a clean slate.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

Hi Angus, how's it going!

Thanks for the info, I'm off for the weekend and I'll dive into it on Monday.

Cheers :cheers 2:

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Beau, hope you had a great weekend!
Let us know how it goes with FF when you're able!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#5 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Hi Angus ~

I've installed the latest version of Firefox 64-bit and did a Firefox Refresh, but things don't seem any faster.

Part of my problem was that I was opening Firefox with several tabs among them two of weather.com, the slowest loading web site I've ever seen, but now without them Firefox still opens very slowly.

Even before restoring extensions and addons Firefox doesn't seem any faster.

I've been trying Chrome and I'm impressed with its speed.

BTW, I discovered that an add-on called Internote was causing Dragula in Kwunk to be extremely klunky and herky-jerkey, things are back to normal with Internote removed. I'm going to post about this, I'll call it "Internote Problem"

Hope all's well with you!  ;)   I'll be sending you some comments in the Kwunk thread soon  :P

EDIT:

Whoa, correction on the Internote issue, the dragging problem has returned after I removed Internote.

Strange, when I first removed it the problem went away, don't know why it's recurred, I'm looking into it

#6 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

It sounds to me like you have something loaded on boot in your system that is interfering with FF operations. For example, once I was driven crazy in CorelDraw (a graphics program) when it would, every so often, completely freeze and be unresponsive, then after a few seconds resume like nothing every happened. I finally realized that I had automatic backup enabled for every 15 minutes. I disabled it, and no more problems. That, of course, is not the reason for your problem, but the principle may apply.

Carefully check everything you have loading into working memory; try disabling all your add-ons as well.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#7 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

This link might help:

https://support.mozi...estions/1159431

#8 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, moon, I checked it out.

I don't have bitdefender, but over the years I've been suspicious that the OS has a problem if FF is closed and quickly re-opened.

Sometime FF is fast and sometimes impossibly slow, it's as if there's some background process running and when it completes itself everything is back to speed.

There's also a weird dragging problem only with FF and not with Chrome, IE, Edge, Vivaldi or Opera . . you can try it at http://kwunk.com/170906-bf/. . see how the dragging is herky-jerky and slow. Weird.

#9 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

Fast and snappy in my FF 55.0.3 /64 bit.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#10 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

Not much help I guess as mines Happy and Fast, could it be code related.?

#11 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hmmm . . bizarre if it works OK on your FFs . . in that case, how could it be code related?

I'm also running FF 55.0.3 /64 bit.

I'm going back to ranchhand's suggestion above

<<It sounds to me like you have something loaded on boot in your system that is interfering with FF operations . . Carefully check everything you have loading into working memory . . try disabling all your add-ons as well>>

and check this stuff all over again, including disabling all add-ons and extensions . . .

I'll report back after a thorough review.

#12 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

I can't try it right now as I'm using my work machine which does not have FF on it.

Try Bob's suggestion first, and let us know how it goes.

Try rebooting your machine and running ONLY Firefox and pointing it ONLY to Kwunk (disable all other tabs before the reboot).
If you still experience the lagginess, then it's almost certain down to a boot process issue, especially if you've tried ripping out Firefox and reinstalling it from scratch.

#13 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

I've found the cause of the problem, it's an add-on called "Simple YouTube to MP3/MP4 Converter".

I disabled all add-ons and extensions and re-enabled them one-by-one, only that add-on made the dragging go herky-jerky . . re-enabled it and re-disabled it five times, testing all the while, no doubt about it.

Needless to say, I don't have the least idea why something like that would effect the operation of the browser, I'll just mention one thing I noticed about that program: when you enter the URL of the YouTube you want to convert to mp3, the conversion begins instantly without your having to hit <Enter>. It's the only program or process I've ever seen that doesn't require <Enter> to initiate it. (I guess incremental searching is an exception). Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but there it is.

I'll take note over the next few days about whether FF is running super slow, as I mentioned in the start of this thread. So far it's running without that problem, but it's only been a few minutes, I'll report back after a couple of days.

I also swear FF is opening faster, but didn't actually time it.

EDIT:

Forget the bit about "when you enter the URL of the YouTube you want to convert to mp3, the conversion begins instantly", that's another add-on called http://youtubeconverter.me/

#14 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Interesting.
Thanks for the feedback Beau and do keep up updated on your progress!

#15 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

I never thought I'd associate the word "fast" with Firefox, but now after two days without Simple YouTube to MP3/MP4 Converter, FF actually seems fast compared to before :P .  Who'd a-thunk it hrhr.gif

Hard to believe Mozilla is still offering the add-on, I'm going to write them a note about the whole thing.

One more question: is there any possibility that it's not Simple YouTube to MP3/MP4 Converter alone that's to blame, but some kind of combination of it and another extension?

And is it a good idea for me to post a SAF topic which warns about the add-on?

Phew! :D