• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Mozilla released earlier today the first beta versions of Firefox 57 that come with a new user interface — codenamed Photon — and a new core engine — codenamed Quantum.

For starters, the biggest update is under the hood. Firefox 57 will feature a new core engine that has slowly replaced parts of the ancient Gecko engine in previous Firefox releases. This new engine is named Quantum and was announced last year as a savior for Firefox's sluggish Gecko engine

Right now, Firefox 57 — set for release on November 14 — looks like a groundbreaking and highly anticipated release. Unfortunately, things aren't that rosy, and some users look at the November 14 release date with fear.

The reason is that Firefox 57 will replace the old Add-ons API with the new WebExtensions API. This means that legacy add-ons that have not been ported to Firefox's new add-ons technology will stop working.

Link:

https://www.bleeping...ew-core-engine/

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, I can see a lot of teething problems here if they're not careful, especially with this modern trend where just checking to see what version you're running triggers an automatic update.

As background, the earlier discussion about the upcoming FF changes can be found here:
http://www.suggest-a...snoop-on-users/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.