• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

I'm beginning to feel like internet access is like the old west; always have your gun ready :(

https://www.bleeping...worse-each-day/

• dashwood95 likes this

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, the Internet is getting more and more hostile every day.

And we all depend on it more and more every day as well.

The products I work on now at work are Web-based products; anything happens to those and customers would be well and truly scuppered.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Good point. When I talk to a young person who is considering an IT career, I strongly suggest that he/she specialize in security; that is a well-paying field that is never going to go away. Get a degree from a respected university in Internet Technology with emphasis on security and you are set for life. While new technology hardware will replace the old quickly, privacy and security are always going to be top on the list of any business. That is never going to change. What we are seeing now is only going to get worse, not better. Look at the Russian/presidential election scandal that is rocking the USA now as a prime example. And don't mention the Equifax Titanic disaster...the shock waves from that are bouncing people around.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

Exactly.  If anything, society is being driven online, sometimes against its will.  I'm thinking of older folk here who struggle with anything technical, and it was only a few years ago that utility companies started to charge customers extra if they wanted printed, posted bills rather than viewing them online.

When I first started using the Internet, it was a nicety.  A bonus.  Now it has become an essential service, like electricity, gas and water.

With everyone having to come online, there is always going to be an increasingly larger and more lucrative attack surface.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.