4 replies to this topic

#1 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

So whenever I use Malwarebytes I update it first and if there is a new version then I will install it without a question, but I noticed that the latest version is a trial one that is asking me to upgrade to the full version, and I think that if I don't do so then I will probably revert back to the free version. I also noticed that their interface for settings and otherwise resembles that of Window 10, and I couldn't find any button for updates which is what I usually do before running a scan. 

Malwarebytes has been a great software that I've been using for years but I get the feeling that they are trying to push everyone to buy their commercial version; I could be overreacting here but if not then maybe I should be looking at an alternative. I would appreciate any comments about this issue and any suggestion for alternatives as well; thanks.

#2 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

I have 3..2.2 premium and I think I paid for it some time ago, but haven't had any nag screens or anything, I also like it.

#3 Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

• Moderators
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

They've always wanted us to use the paid version... Doesn't mean we have to. 

#4 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

The free version, although functional, will always be there to serve as an advert for the full version so this is something we all have to live with when running free versions.  Thus I'm never surprised when free versions try to upsell the paid version - they need to make their money and pay the salaries for the folk that release the software and updates after all!

I don't mind that.  What I *DO* mind though is when it is done in an aggressive manner, and/or when the software scans your computer for "free" and then says, "Click here to remove the threats!" and when you do, you are greeted with a paywall and the software won't do anything more until you register and cough up.  Thankfully, Malwarebytes does not behave like this and hopefully it never will.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#5 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone; I was a bit worried that they may be trying to push their commercial version on their users, but since the general consensus is that there is nothing to worry about, then I will keep on using it for now. Thanks again.