7 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'm going to publish and sell online a game soon and I'm trying to set up a program which, when the user clicks "Buy" does these things:

• a sign-up page comes up where the cost and description of the product is explained, and the user enters an email address and password

• then clicks "Buy Now" and gets sent to PayPal

• when they've paid they get sent back to my site to login

• then they're auto-logged in whenever they return to the site

Someone recommended aMember and I've been dealing with them for a couple of days but I've become suspicious because their English is poor and I'm having a great deal of difficulty communicating with them; I've whois'd them and they have "WHOISGUARD" protected their whois information; they are apparently registered in Panama; they have Russian names; and the Web of Trust has never heard of them.

Does that sound like enough for serious suspicion?

Any suggestions as to an off-the-shelf product that handles this sort of thing?

I'm looking at this page which lists some companies.

EDIT:

Doing more searches for this kind of software, I keep finding sites which register people for events, but what I need is what I listed above .. what's the technical term for that? "signup software"?

#2 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

beau, I know nothing about this, but, I would think PayPal could help you.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Good idea, kennethr, I'll give them a call, I've found their phone tech support pretty good.

EDIT:

Called PayPal, they say they don't know anything about this, which I find a bit hard to believe ;) , the techie I talked to put me on hold for a long time while she asked other techies about it but came back with no info at all. It may be a case of they don't want to commit themselves to recommending any software company. I'm a little surprised they don't sell this kind of software themselves, it would help their customers create a fuller environment for paying for things.

#4 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

that surprises me too.

#5 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Well, my programmer got back to me and says he's known of aMember for years "they have a good reputation for their product (and support too, IIRC). I researched them a bit in the past  when my ecommerce provider, FastSpring, selected them as the product to which FastSpring's subscription billing service would integrate with."

I've also did a bit of research on their parent company, cgi-central, and they look legit.

So I guess I'll continue to work with aMember.

#6 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

Someone recommended aMember and I've been dealing with them for a couple of days but I've become suspicious because their English is poor and I'm having a great deal of difficulty communicating with them; I've whois'd them and they have "WHOISGUARD" protected their whois information; they are apparently registered in Panama; they have Russian names; and the Web of Trust has never heard of them.

Does that sound like enough for serious suspicion?

https://www.whois.co...ois/amember.com

The name of the domain owner is protected.  This is normal for private users (private websites) but not businesses, in order to prevent unwanted contact and email address harvesting.

It is also normal for companies to off-shore their support.  Won't go into how our mobile phone provider is refusing to deal with an especially nasty problem we're having on the network, but whenever we ask for onshore support personnel to call us back, we get a call back from someone in Manilla, Philippines.  Happened numerous times, we've had to escalate to the regulator.

The site looks professional enough, usually if it's a scam there will be often immediately obvious on the website.

Interesting that WoT has never heard of them though!  Mind you, WoT is crowdsourced so it's not the company that hasn't heard of aMember: it's that nobody has submitted a review to WoT is why you're getting nothing.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#7 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hi Angus ~

I did some more research on aMember, and had a more thorough discussion with the programmer who recommended them (they're based in Europe and they're part of cgi-central.), and I now feel confident about them.

I has some troubles with them because they kept giving me technical instructions assuming I was a programmer and I'd have to remind them that they had to spell things out in detail, but this morning they notified me that everything is in place, and I notified the domain host to make the necessary internal changes . . they tell me that they'll complete the work in a few hours, so hopefully the signup/registration page will be functioning.

I'll notify you when it's all working . . hopefully soon!

#8 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

They probably expect contact from professional developers, so not accustomed to giving instructions to hobbyists and the like ... they probably deal more with the industry rather than the likes of us, who do it for a hobby and enjoyment (and in your case, where there is a business idea involved).

I get very busy with my work these days so don't get a lot of time to come here much at the moment, so when I go dark that's usually the reason why!  However, I'm looking forward to seeing it, so please do let me know.

Good luck!

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.