• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

CUPERTINO, CA—In a surprising elimination of one of the product’s oldest features, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced at a product unveiling Tuesday that the new iPhone 8 will no longer secretly record every word you say. “Although the iPhone 8 will be our most advanced device yet, it will not have the capability to clandestinely preserve every single thing that comes out of your mouth,” said Cook, explaining that, for the first time in its 10-year history, the iPhone will not come installed with a voice-activated recording device that automatically sends audio files of users’ conversations directly to Apple headquarters.

https://www.theonion...very-1819580297

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#2 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Cook,..." older phones, ... will ... continue to gather every spoken word but also permanently archive all your text messages regardless of whether you actually elected to store them in the cloud..."

Wow, did not realize that.

#3 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:29 AM

Nor did I  :mellow:

#4 CodeCake

CodeCake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

*Cook*,..." older phones, ... will ... continue to gather every spoken word but also permanently archive all your text messages regardless of whether you actually elected to store them in the cloud..."[/size]

Wow, did not realize that.[/size]

Do the archieves not use up cloud storage? What if you out of storage?

#5 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

CC, I only know what is in that article.  But, the way I read it they keep it whether you wanted to or or.  They can certainly expand your cloud to keep.

If I had a reason to care, I would certainly work on  the supposition that they kept it all, space or not.

#6 CodeCake

CodeCake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

Fair point, but I'm interested :P

#7 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

The storage capabilities of commercial "cloud" centers is mind-boggling. They measure it in "exabytes" now, or millions of terabytes, or hundreds of millions of gigabytes....you get the point.

This may help you:  http://www.globaldot...d-in-the-cloud/

And.... it is a relatively simple matter to increase the storage if and when needed; the technology is virtually unlimited.

#8 CodeCake

CodeCake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

The storage capabilities of commercial "cloud" centers is mind-boggling. They measure it in "exabytes" now, or millions of terabytes, or hundreds of millions of gigabytes....you get the point.
This may help you:  http://www.globaldot...d-in-the-cloud/
And.... it is a relatively simple matter to increase the storage if and when needed; the technology is virtually unlimited.

My iCloud storage is full :P
So... I meant whether it takes up space or is expanded to use the space

#9 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

I don't understand your question, but the Icloud space that you have used is what is allotted to you per cost to you. If you run out of storage, then you pay for more storage space or delete some of what you already have. Big money maker for these outfits.

#10 CodeCake

CodeCake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

All text messages are perma archieved in the cloud. If you're out iof iCloud storage, this can't mean you can't text

So a way around this would be to keep iCloud storage full ? Criminals or for example to stop a love spying who dont want messages discovered :P

#11 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Hmmmm, I wonder whether EU citizens will be able to invoke the "Right to be Forgotten" aspect of the GDPR when it becomes law in April next year?

https://gdpr-info.eu/

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.