Photo

Can I put my existing h/drive in a newer desktop pc?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

I want to upgrade my present Windows 10 pc with a newer one.  Can I put my existing ssd hard drive in the new computer as a boot drive?

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

I am assuming that you have a retail (store purchased) computer, not one that you built yourself.

Mechanically, yes you can do that. However, there is an 800 pound gorilla sitting in your computer's living room. His name is Microsoft.

Microsoft's policy regarding its OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) licenses (such as HP, Dell, Acer, etc.) is that various components of the computer may be changed, but they have tied the Windows OS (operating system) to the motherboard, and thereby hangs the problem. All manufacturer's have ID serial numbers for each mobo (motherboard) and Windows goes in and reads that. Every time you boot your computer Windows "phones home" to M/Soft and verifies your mobo number, and all is well. When that number suddenly changes, M/Soft considers that a "different" computer, and they do not allow their OS to be transferred from computer to computer in the case of a commercial OEM manufacturer.  Thus you will get a "this Windows OS is not registered" message on the screen and eventually it will shut down.

If you purchase a retail license or purchase a retail copy of Windows on a disk, then you may install it. As I understand it as of this writing, M/Soft will allow you to move that retail license from one computer to another. I am not clear if you can purchase a retail license and then apply it to an OEM machine or not, that could be verified by phoning M/Soft customer service.

However, this way you will have to reinstall all your programs and save all your data first or you will lose it. And...you will need the mobo software drivers for that board on a CD so you can install them, or the computer will never run as it should. Hopefully your manufacturer has posted those drivers on its website for download, but if you decide to go this direction it would be wise to check that out first. Retail manufacturers are very undependable in this area.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 geno368

geno368

Valued Member

• Star Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the input, Ranchhand...I hope 2018 is good to you...

#4 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

:)

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.