• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

Microsoft has added a new and very important detail on the support  page describing incompatibilities between antivirus (AV) products and the recent Windows Meltdown and Spectre patches...

According to Microsoft's latest policy changes, this registry key has now become a permanent check of the Windows Update process and will prevent all further updates, not just the Meltdown and Spectre patches.

By stopping all Windows security updates until antivirus products or users set the registry key, Microsoft is basically saying two things: (1) users either choose to stop receiving Windows security updates and stay with their current antivirus or (2) they ditch their current incompatible antivirus for one that supports the crucial fixes for Meltdown and Spectre.

https://www.bleeping...a-registry-key/

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#2 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

What would be useful though is a list of compatible or incompatible AVs as they become known so people can choose what they want to do.

Also, there is nothing to stop the vendors of incompatible AVs from setting that Registry key to get round it, unless I'm missing something here?

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#3 manunkind

manunkind

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

https://docs.google....haring&sle=true

PC Sympathy

s++=ENDIKSA;++y(;-p)}d ms++n;suajsmn+ky(n-qi}?print:??;

#4 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Thank you. Thank you.

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Thnx Manukind, good find.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.