6 replies to this topic

#1 don2013

don2013

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

Morning all, been awhile since I've been here, and that's a good thing I believe...anyhoo this morning

my Dell inspiron was awakened from sleep by me and almost immediately I heard a weird noise

and I believe it was from the hard drive, so after couple minutes I shut down and turned off

the thing completely...turned it back on after 5 minutes and no more sound ~~~!~!...maybe it

is time to have it blown out with air duster? ya think? I cannot remember what year I got this one,

maybe around '09 or so, old memeory in my head is not great...Should I be worried and looking

at a new one???? thanks all....

don....just found receipt from Dell, apparently bought this in 2015...

#2 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Very first thing to do is back up anything you want to a different drive.

Then, run some utilities to check status of drive.  But, have seen everything show normal, and the drive still go out.

Just be ready.

#3 don2013

don2013

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Kenneth.....will see what I can do...have heard no more rumbles from the thing today....don

#4 Dino

Dino

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

I suggest that you get an external portable drive to back up any thing important on it; such a drive is very cheap nowadays and extremely reliable. I’ve been using external portable drives for years now without any issues; this way I don’t need to worry about my internal hard drive dying or getting corrupted, as all I have to do is either get another one, or format and install Windows without worrying about losing any data.

#5 Angoid

Angoid

Administeriosis Extremus

• Administrators
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands, UK

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

If the drive itself is making the funny noise, then no amount of blowing it out with an air duster is going to make any difference.

This is because it is a sealed unit, airtight because it has to be a very dist-free environment inside.

The advice already given is best: Back everything up to a new drive so if (when) this one dies, you can restore without any loss of data.

Kudos for finding the receipt, but be aware that if the warranty is still valid it'll probably only guarantee the component itself, not the data on it.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Please do not send uninvited PMs requesting support; post into the appropriate forum instead and we'll all learn. See our Private messaging policy.

#6 don2013

don2013

Valued Member

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

UPDATe, I took this pc to local shop about 1/4 mile away, turned out to be the power supply unit...apparently the dust did

cause the bearings in the fan to go bad...my fault...anyhoo 93 bucks later and I'm back in business...thanks all....

#7 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

ouch.  Glad it is back running .