Photo

Any Downside To Giving Login Info To Friends?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

I've just published a website, a game, where people can pay for access to lots of puzzles.

Since you can't PayPal money to yourself (even from a personal account to a business account), I want to ask a friend to sign up and tell me the username and password so I can give the info to a dozen or so friends.

Is there any danger to that? Is it a bad idea to ask someone to give out that info?

I've asked aMember, the signup software I've used, if there's a way for me to make a membership for myself with their program, but I don't have high hopes.

#2 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

Just my opinion, which isn't any better than anyone elses, but if you need the income from this website to cover your overhead you are going to take a hit. And...as nice as I am sure your friends are...Freebie passwords get passed around. A dozen free passwords being used can turn in to several dozen quite easily as the word get passed from one good buddy to another. Other that that, I can't see any special danger unless someone else has more insight that I do.

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#3 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured :killjoy-emoticon:

What I decided to do is not make a guest membership, but make a sub-page, called something like "kwunk/guestpage" and tell people about it . . then I can just remove it any time I think it's being abused.

(Hopefully at some point I'll have an analytics program to tell me what's going on with my sites . . but that's another issue)

There will be a few special cases where I'll want to give a freebie to someone like, say, the games editor of the NY Times, but I think people like that are likely to be conscientious about not sharing info.

#4 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Moderators
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:57 PM

I feel a Congrats is appropriate here; you got the concept for the game, taught yourself how the coding works, put in the sweat and achieved your goal. Very proper for you to feel proud of yourself! :1thumbsup:

Fishing Fanatic - gimme a fishing rod, point me North and turn me loose.

#5 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

Hey ranchhand, many thanks.

And thanks for having chimed in a couple of times during my long exchanges with Angus . .  especially when I had prematurely announced imminent publication :blush: . . glad to have finally actually got it out!

I can't say it enough times, I don't know how I could have done it without SAF.

:cheers 2:

#6 kennethr

kennethr

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

I agree with Ranchhand, beau.  Congratulations.

#7 beau

beau

Valued Member

• Gold Star Member
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

Thanks kennethr !! :cheers 2: