#1 dave567

dave567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

help!

my laptop doed recently and a well meaning friend gave me a tower pc running xp

ive run malware bytes and defragged and also ran avast which did find and delete one virus.

the problem im having is when i watch a youtube clip(any) the picture is jittery and slow and the audio is out of sync.

this also happens when playing a dvd through windows media player.

Bizarrely, Vlan player and media player classic play dvds fine.

Im running 1.5 gig ram and have an athlon processor.

can anyone help me please?

#2 dashwood95

dashwood95

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationChitown Suburbia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

I've been researching your question and found some people have this issue only in specific browsers and often with a very specific version of Java and Adobe Flash Player that are conflicting (no doubt due to a bug in the release of AFP).  

Can you tell us what browser(s) you are experiencing this in and what versions of Flash Player and Java you have installed?

Dash-Queen of Typos
HKEd's Personal Cheerleader #1
Phzzz Fan #1 - Efabes Fan #1 - Angoid Fan #1 - Manunkind Fan #1 - Stargazer Fan #1
If life throws you lemons.....THROW EM BACK!
Struggling is not a sign of weakness unless you refuse to get back up and fight.

#3 Patti

Patti

• Moderators
  • 160 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

It may also be that there are some resource hogs running in the background that is affecting CPU performance.  You could use Task Manager to narrow down what the "culprits" might be, or there is a great free app, Process Explorer, that you could d/load and use.  There is a little more information about Process Explorer here.  Once you have narrowed down the potential culprits, you could do some research to investigate whether or nor they are necessary and if/how you could prevent them from running in the background.

It could be that Vlan and Media Player Classic play the DVDs fine, as opposed to Windows Media Player, because they have a smaller footprint (i.e., don't use as many resources as Windows Media Player).

You didn't mention whether or not you or your well meaning friend did a clean install of XP on that tower PC. That would probably have been the best idea, as it would have cleared out any clutter that had accumulated. But that's just my opinion. 

• Phzzz and corvor like this

#4 dave567

dave567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

hi thanks for your help.

i believe it was a clean install-ive run ccleaner,avast and malware bytes.The browsers im using are firefox and IE.both have uptodate java 7 and adobe flash player 11.any ideas?

#5 Patti

Patti

• Moderators
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

hi thanks for your help.

i believe it was a clean install-ive run ccleaner,avast and malware bytes.

You're welcome.

Not sure if you know what I'm meaning by a clean install. I'm referring to formatting the partition on which the operating system and any/all applications are currently installed (thereby "wiping out" everything that is on that partition, including the operating system), and then starting over from scratch, installing the operating system, etc.

#6 moon

moon

• Moderators
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

This is a start:

Open up the Command Prompt once open, type the following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

Note: There's a space between sfc and /scannow.

#7 dashwood95

dashwood95

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Dave those are the two versions I found.  This is what the person with the issue said.

I had updated Firefox to the new Java ™ 7 Update 5 and Adobe Flash Player 11.3 latest versions and had an out of sync video and audio problem with these configurations. I have maintained the Java update and uninstalled the the Adobe Flash Player version. Then I reinstalled Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55 (non IE) version on my desktop PC to synchronize the video/audio problem. Make sure you find the non IE flash player version to download from the internet.

He had success by downgrading his AFP.

Dash-Queen of Typos
Phzzz Fan #1 - Efabes Fan #1 - Angoid Fan #1 - Manunkind Fan #1 - Stargazer Fan #1
Struggling is not a sign of weakness unless you refuse to get back up and fight.

#8 dave567

dave567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

tried all the aboce to no avail-downloading afp was no use as the plug in is required to play video and it downloads the uptodate one!

#9 dashwood95

dashwood95

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

dave you can get old versions here.

http://www.oldversio...e-flash-player/

Dash-Queen of Typos

#10 dave567

dave567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

when i tried this it still forced me to download the update in each browser.does anyone know of a free way of updating all my outdated drivers.

#11 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi dave567,

Did you fix this?  I see no specs for your system.  We need to know hardware specs or a service tag number and make of your rig.  Low Ram in systems

is typically sold by big box stores and manufacturers.  Plz provide all specs, esp CPU-Ram-Video card/onboard sound vs Sound card, etc

#12 dave567

dave567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi Rob

Sorry for delay.Nope not fixed-its a clean pc running xp pro sp3 and is virus and malware free

has 1.5gig ram but am upgrading to 2 gig today to see if helps

any and all video clips run the same-be it yourtube or another site and same with wmp-i think it is the picture running slower rather than the audio tbh

is there a way i can run something to obtain all the spec to post for you?

#13 Patti

Patti

• Moderators
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

is there a way i can run something to obtain all the spec to post for you?

Give Everest Home Edition 2.20 a try. Ignore the big green "Download Now" buttons, as they are for a completely different application.

#14 rob

rob

• Silver Star Member
  • Pip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I would say that immediately you are borderline on Ram, esp if it's shared with onboard video.  I know zero about AMD processors.  Have always been a intel guy.  So someone will be able to tell you about your processor when we know which.  If it's not too mucch, you should go for 4 G Ram, then 32-bit windows will use about 3.8G.

If it's a old system, you may not want to put $$$ into it.  You could try running a lot less startup programs, like next to nothing, and see if that helps.

Please post back and maybe we will get it going!!

#15 dave567

dave567

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

tried  the everest app-tooo many things appeared i dont undersatand......surely  theres  a simple app to give u guys my spec??? this is ridiculous