#1 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hey,

I have an idea about this but would need to know exactly how if someone has done this, well and good.

I shall re-install xp to a 3rd disc. A normal one as against a dynamic. Both the dynamic discs are the same size just not yet formatted, that'll be done when the 'new' xp install happens.

the present OS is working now off one of the dynamic discs, this is just so I can get an idea about it.

Don't want to have 'nowhere' to go if it doesn't work.

When the raid 0 is created in the 'new' install, it will be listed as volume 'XP-Raid' by me with a 10Gig sized OS partition[the present disc sizes are a full 150g each].

In order to install XP to the raid volume, will the raid volume appear as 'XP-Raid' in the list of active discs when I have the XP install cd in place and running?

Straaight forward after that I imagine?

thanks in advance,

rem.

#2 jimholly

jimholly

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 336 posts
  • LocationMason, Ohio

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

We don't normally do this, but I'll refer you to an Overclocker's (Australia) article for doing this... HERE.  Much easier than stumping through it with a hundred and one questions.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.  You are his life, his love, his leader.  He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.  You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

A Finnish Spitz site; My simple home page

#3 Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

• Moderators
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

The short answer is that you will setup the Raid via the raid controllers BIOS.

Might want to keep in mind that the new raid won't be Drive C since you have another bootable OS connected.

#4 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

ok. think this is okay, below:

There is RAID[and AHCI] option in the BIOS. a new enough mb.

I'll need raid drivers for the MB from MB maker, yes? if yes, then I'll need a fdd?

a third disk[XP install in order to set up the 2 disks[formatted and in a dynamic mode]?] which will be the main XP install.

the RAID 0 ''volume''[named XP RAID] will be the 'object'? when doing a fresh install of XP[F6 for the drivers]?

thanks.

rem

#5 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have an fdd installed in this tower but didn't know that the mb had a connection slot for it so, this is good.

f-disks at the ready and will be used. not sure of the correct diver but I'll check mb maker's site for it.

getting there. slow but sure.

rem.

#6 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

it turns out that the mb doesn't support RAID or AHCI.

Does this mean I can't set it up?...as far as I understand from this set of instructions

http://digital.ni.co...6257577004C5982

I get the idea I don't have to have the MB enabled for raid. ie, this is a software raid ONLY.

Am I right or do I need the mb to be raid enabled?

#7 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

DO I NEED the mb to have raid/ahci ability/option for this RAID0 within XP to work?

#8 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

an answer of some sort would be very helpful even if none or no one has tried or done this...ok :)

:( ...looked above at Steve Jone's reply...I can not do this sure I can't?

the mb has to have raid abilities... :(

#9 jimholly

jimholly

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 336 posts
  • LocationMason, Ohio

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I've run RAID on a few systems, and it's always been through the BIOS on the MB.  I suppose the external RAID cards that one can add to a system has it's own drivers and perhaps runs through the OS, but I've not had any experience with those.  RAID has the data split between drives, therefore has to read the RAID array to boot up, so even an external controller setup would almost require interaction with the POST of the motherboard to read the data for booting the OS.  The add-on cards may only function to provide a RAID array after the OS is booted, therefore not suitable for holding the operating system and bootup. 

• remey likes this

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.  You are his life, his love, his leader.  He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.  You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

A Finnish Spitz site; My simple home page

#10 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

ok...finally :( closure...thanks Jim

#11 Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

• Moderators
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

There are many internal RAID Controller cards..... You define the raid in the controller card's BIOS and install XP like you normally would WITH the floppy drive full of raid drivers for the OS.... You'd do the F6 during bootup to install those drivers.

#12 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

See, the whole exercise is/was to create a raid that is ''software'' not ''hardware''.

I considered the article linked to below...it points to creating a ''software raid'' so, in essence, one shouldn't need or depend on any hardware presence/interference as such at all. One should be able to use it w/o hardware...else what's the point of having it in the first place. If one uses the ''onboard'' RAID0 configurer, the point of XP's [software]raid0 creator is not needed. It is redundant :) .

I have a sense that at some point there may have been or there is somewhere out there in 'virtuality' a driver or a set of instructs of some sort[cmd line] that may permit one to create a real 'software raid0'' array in windows...just finding it and getting it is, the problem.

Subsequently, I have been able to create the raid0 but, the only thing one can do with it I think, is to use it as storage of some sort, with an OS installed.

instructs are here > http://digital.ni.co...6257577004C5982  as already mentioned above.

The raid volume was made with three discs. 1[with the OS installed] 2 & 3 were the striped array.

OS partition was included but, only as part of the raid array. It is a bit complex.

The way of doing this[linked above] was with 2 drives[one of these has an OS[XP pro] installed on it.

I found the array a bit faster in a test[drive health] one can do with a defrag product I use: 'Vopt'.

Normally the drive[ssd] would test[read/write] at ~ 220MBs. Being part of the array the same disc read speed made, ~ 260MBs, consistantly.

Reading or writing off or from [as storage or reserved for programs]this array generally and as far as the OS goes, is quicker than previous work with the drive.

rem.

#13 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

The short answer is that you will setup the Raid via the raid controllers BIOS.

Might want to keep in mind that the new raid won't be Drive C since you have another bootable OS connected.

if I use a software raid0 how would I manage to set up the BIOS raid utility?

the software raid is already built so, in essence, all I need is communitation with the software raid and output from the raid0 array. yes?

but how does one set this up in the BIOS? after the boot up, one presses a key in order to set up the array but, it[the software raid0] has already been built..how does one incorporate this into the 3rd party raid build utility?

[This 'thing' has me by the short n curlies and I won't let it go...sorry for continuity and the 'nag nagging :( . ]

#14 Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

• Moderators
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

You DON'T use the BIOS and or Raid Controller for a software raid. You follow the instructions in the link you provided above. (http://digital.ni.co...6257577004C5982)

Guessing you've read the part about software raids using big chuncks of the cpu and ram on top of everyday use...and thus will be slower overall..

Comparison: Hardware vs Software RAID
http://www.cyberciti...d-software.html

#15 remey

remey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationdublin

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

General note or summation[from the last link u provided above]

''The performance of a software-based array is dependent on the server CPU performance and load. With today's faster CPUs, software RAID outperforms hardware RAID. ''

does that say it or what?

Becasuse the 'dangers' of using a raid0 are inherent and widely spoken of, one isn't really taking all that great a chance.

one takes the risk/chance of losing data or the array at any time for any and sundry reasons.

''that is in the program'' as they say...

so what?!...build it again. If you know the 'danger' before hand, it won't hurt you as much as if ya didn't.

Rule of Thumb...Data [important] shud be backed up.

In most cases, best way to learn that, is to lose it.

I do...I do...I do, back up.